• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Help with early Scottish Tall Case

vince-phyl

NAWCC Fellow
Jun 2, 2008
Does anyone have any idea about this clock? Owners say that it is from 1750's...

I would like to give them ANY information.

Help would be appreciated....

Thank you in advance........

Vince Angell
307603.jpg 307599.jpg 307600.jpg

Attachments

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World lists:-
Angus, George apprenticed 1782 Peter Gill Aberdeen Scotland, then Broad street Aberdeen 1799- d1830

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World lists:-
Angus, George apprenticed 1782 Peter Gill Aberdeen Scotland, then Broad street Aberdeen 1799- d1830
That seems far more likely, 1750 is too early.

It is a very unusual looking case. The flat top case with arched dial is a very Scottish look, but I haven't seen that decoration on the hood before. I don't see that many Scottish clocks though.

This is an early painted dial, but not an early longcase clock.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Vince,

Two comments:

What is the dial's width? If it is 13 inches it is definitely after 1800.

It would be helpful to see movement photographs; movements can approximately dated with the shape of pillar posts.

Andy Dervan

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Scottish clocks don't generally follow fashion rules too closely, but the style of dialplate decoration would usually be considered pre 1800.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I appreciate it isn't easy to but check the rear of the dial as it may have a dialmaker's name. Most dials on Scottish longcase clocks prior to 1800 where English but by that time a native dialmaking style had emerged which featured fully painted corner decoration of a geometric or semi-geometric pattern. This pattern was often of fans enclosed by a solid line of two straight edges and one curved like this dial. The geometric decoration on this clock is even replicated in the long-hood.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I appreciate it isn't easy to but check the rear of the dial as it may have a dialmaker's name. Most dials on Scottish longcase clocks prior to 1800 where English but by that time a native dialmaking style had emerged which featured fully painted corner decoration of a geometric or semi-geometric pattern. This pattern was often of fans enclosed by a solid line of two straight edges and one curved like this dial. The geometric decoration on this clock is even replicated in the long-hood.
funny, I was just looking at the pictures again and thinking that about the hood decoration. Unusual to see a design followed through like that. Shows a lot of thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent