• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Help with dutch longcase clock

tnsguy

Mar 19, 2013
My mother recently passed away and among the items she left is what I think is a dutch longcase clock. The face is signed Dirk Vetter, Amsterdam. It has an animated scene with ships as can be seen in the picture below.

P1010746.jpg P1010747.jpg P1010756.jpg P1010748.jpg P1010749.jpg P1010752.jpg

Can anyone help me with information on this clock?

Thanks

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello,

Other members will comment further. It would be helpful to see two more photographs: entire clock to get a perspective on it and dial with the door open. Take photographs from a slight angle not head to minimize flash.

Unfortunately, I do not have my books on European makers at my finger tips right now, but will check it later.

Andy Dervan

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Beautiful clock! I found this on a Dutch webpage:

Dirk Vetter Amsterdam ca 1750
J. D. Vetter Rotterdam ca 1784
Johan Johanszn Vetter Gouda ca 1791
Martinus Vetter Rotterdam ca 1760

Your Maker seems to be Dirk Vetter Amsterdam ca. 1750. Others may have more information about him.
Uhralt

tnsguy

Mar 19, 2013
Hello,

Other members will comment further. It would be helpful to see two more photographs: entire clock to get a perspective on it and dial with the door open. Take photographs from a slight angle not head to minimize flash.

Unfortunately, I do not have my books on European makers at my finger tips right now, but will check it later.

Andy Dervan
Thanks, I'll try and get the pics. It may take a bit as I am in Texas and the clock is in Az.

tnsguy

Mar 19, 2013
Hello,

Andy Dervan
Here are some more photos.

Attachments

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
oh wow..that is impressive

Have a listing of Vetter which is also spelt Fetter

Vetter, Dirk. (Fetter)
Amsterdam