Help with damaged escape wheel in Seth Thomas no 10 for ITR time stamp clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Jonas Sandstedt, Aug 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jonas Sandstedt

Jonas Sandstedt Registered User

Aug 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I have a damaged escape wheel with 15 teeth and that is approximately 17 mm in diameter (see picture). It is used in a Seth Thomas no. 10 movement (see picture) that is used in an ITR time stamp clock (see picture). As seen in the first picture, two teeth are broken and the rest more or less bent. I would appreciate some tips regarding possible repair or replacement part. It seems as it is very difficult to re-manufacture this little wheel.

IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0115.JPG

best regards
    Jonas

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That will be an expensive wheel to have made. In the US we see No. 10 ST movements on eBay for probably less than the cost to have a wheel made. Perhaps a "parts movement" would be the way to go?

RC

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't see a repair possibility. Not enough rim to try to replace a tooth. I'd look for a donor movement too.

4. Jonas Sandstedt

Aug 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Yes, the only watchmaker in Sweden I could find that was willing to at least try to re-manufacture this wheel failed; he could not find a suitalbe milling cutter.
    I had hoped a spare wheel would be possible to find in the US, but perhaps ST No. 10 is relatively rare.
    best regards
    Jonas

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check your private messages :)

6. Jonas Sandstedt

Aug 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for all kind and helpful replies. I think I will have to consider buying a donor movement, although I favour repairing whenever possible.
    best regards
    Jonas

7. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Jonas
    Actually, basic escape teeth such as the wheel shown are quite simple too repair with the assistance of small milling machine as are most repairs. In this case, if all but one or two teeth can be straightened, then one or two teeth replacement is not an issue. For tooth replacement, I machine a .010" deep positioning pocket the width of the base of the tooth and high temp silver solder in a butt joint replacement tooth. Strength will equal or exceed original strength for tooth shaping and service.

If a new wheel is preferred or required, it is still not an issue.
    It is unlikely that a commercial cutter will be found, but a single point cutter is fast and simple to make.

I first start with a HSS lathe tool blank and free hand grind as follows per the attached photo. The right side of the cutter shown is not touched. The left side angle is free hand ground on a standard bench grinder. Only a couple of trial and error grinds are normally required for the fit shown with the same procedure utilized for the front of the cutter. In this case the spacing on your teeth are wider, but the same procedure is used to fit the cutter.

If anyone who signed up for the NAWCC workshop WS-119 in October is watching, I will be demonstrating grinding the above cutter and cutting escape teeth. The cutter takes about five minutes to grind.

Jerry Kieffer

Attached Files:

8. Jonas Sandstedt

Aug 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Jerry,
    Your interesting and hopeful description of repair brings me to the inevitable question if you are able to help me if I send the wheel to you.
    Do you have time and opportunity for handling this?

best regards
    Jonas

9. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Jonas
    I appreciate the consideration, but at this time I have more personal projects that need consideration than I have time for. However there are a number of advertisements for this type work in the NAWCC mart. One way to save money on this type of project is to do your own crossing if a new wheel is cut.
    And of course you can purchase a donor movement as others have mentioned.

Good Luck

Jerry Kieffer

10. Jonas Sandstedt

Aug 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I understand Jerry, thanks.
    I will try to make repairs myself, having no panic with this little project.
    best regards
    Jonas