Hi clock gurus. This clock is turning out to be a headache. As you can see, it’s an Ansonia mantel type with an open escapement. First, when I got the clock the suspension spring was mutilated & just snapped. Replaced with a new suspension spring - OK there.
Then, one of the gears in the strike train was spinning / stripped on its arbor. It was the gear that meshes with the lock wheel. Loctite fixed that. Then during reassembly, the strike train spring suddenly just snapped. When it broke, it broke teeth on the lock wheel for the strike train. Installed a used spring and wheel from a similar movement.
Got everything back together and of course strike train just strikes and runs continuously - doesn’t lock - even though I timed the gears as recommended. I’m convinced this will be an issue for me with every single clock no matter what now. So, play around with re-timing it and and try to get strike train to lock on its own.
It seems as though lock arm that stops strike train in lock wheel may have become bent a hair when spring broke somehow. Bent it slightly and was able to get strike train to work correctly. Yay.
Put movement back in clock. Everything works and surprisingly keeps accurate time off the bat. Of course, another issue arises - this one slight. What’s going on now is gong strikes reliably; but always when minute hand is about 4 mins either past the hour or half hour. In other word, minute hand has to go to about 9:04 before it will release strike train to strike 9 times.
On this clock, the minute hand sits on its arbor and has a rectangular cut out to “time” it. So, no real adjustment to just simply move the minute hand. Hand is not bent left or right. Hand is held on with a dowel or cotter pin looking rod that goes through a hole in the arbor that turns the hand.
I haven’t ran into this before or pulled the movement back out and hoping it’s a simple fix; other than to just live with the gong being a few mins off from the time
Initially, when I got the clock, gong strike was very weak. Just quiet. So, I bent the gong hammer rod to try to rectify this. It just has a tiny little swing before it hits the gong. I may have improved it a hair; but wondering if this has something to do with what’s going on now. I doubt it; but gong is still very quiet but audible.
I’m OK with the gong how it is, but thinking something may be not quite right or slightly bent. Obviously; if I bend the lever that connects to the gong hammer back too far - it won’t strike the gong.
I included all the back story because I’m guessing whatever is going on with the strike train being off from the time has something to do with something I touched or disturbed in the process. The clock face is clocked straight how it should be. No adjustment there.