Help with an Elite clock movement

Anthony Fazio

Sep 9, 2020
Country
Hello,
My name is Julian and I am Anthony Fazio's grand son.
I am really interested in a clock maker named Charles Jacques. A few days ago i found a video on youtube about a Jacques 11 tube clock.
I will leave a link to that hear.
If you wach from 00:19 to 00:24, you will notice that he pushes a lever into a woden cage the surroundes the pin barrel then pushes another lever up.
I have read the Elite mouvment patent discription 5 times and I still don't understand it.
Please help me find the answer.

-Julian

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
That is the chime selection, it pushes the barrel across from a lever on the face of the clock. The other lever he pushes up is the rack lever so it would start chiming, if he put the minute hand on, he could just move it to the quarter and that would activate the chime. The chime also sounds a bit fast to me. Not all clocks have 2 or 3 chimes

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
that 11 tube should play 4 songs. st paul, st james, notre dame, and trinity. without the dial on hand, it is really only possible to play the first and last songs on the barrel. and, yes, i would agree with jimmy. this clock needs adjustment. these are unfortunately very difficult to tune properly. is your question based only on the mechanical aspect of the workings or is there some other form of interest in that particular clock?

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I would love to have one of these clocks.
Are the governor blades adjustable in these movements Brian?

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
These are high quality clocks but a nightmare to effectively setup unless you memorize chime melodies and hammer setups in your sleep. The video demonstration doesn't do a good job at demonstrating the St. Paul & Trinity chimes. The movement shown corresponds to the Monastery grade going by the size and arbor arrangement but was probably made after all movement grades were amalgamated into the singular 'Jacques' brand.

Jacques Chimes.png

Since those clocks are/were for sale, I would expect their problems exhibited on camera to have been fixed before sales.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
a nightmare to effectively setup unless you memorize chime melodies and hammer setups in your sleep.
I've read that about these clocks Justin. Just getting the chord hammers striking in unison is supposed to be "tricky". I had not really considered hammer sequences on the unusual bell arrangements. Did Charles even bother with Westminster? :chuckling:

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The late Henry Fried conceded the closest you may get is an 'arpeggio' of notes striking the hours rather than a solid chord. The 11 tube Jacques clock does not play Westminster. :o:)

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
for all intents and purposes, this is the feature that most drew me to my example. pretty much every chiming hall clock in the history of hall clocks(at least for the u.s. market) plays westminster. i loved the uniqueness of this one that it does not. all of my other chiming clocks(again us market) play that tune. it is really nice to hear something different for a change.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I would want to slow down the chime train on one of these because it plays the tunes so fast you cannot distinguish the tune. Overtones from each tube reverberate and cause dissonance. I think one reason most people leave their clocks set on Westminster is that the other two tunes on most triple chime clocks use eight notes and they “run together” in sound. Westminster chimes use only four notes and the tune is perfectly distinguishable. It is even worse on tubular chimes because the overtones last longer. My two cents.

Anthony Fazio

Sep 9, 2020
Country
that 11 tube should play 4 songs. st paul, st james, notre dame, and trinity. without the dial on hand, it is really only possible to play the first and last songs on the barrel. and, yes, i would agree with jimmy. this clock needs adjustment. these are unfortunately very difficult to tune properly. is your question based only on the mechanical aspect of the workings or is there some other form of interest in that particular clock?
Good morning Brian,
It may be really early in the morning when I post this but I have to go to school so I will make this quick. I am actually interested in the Elite movement in general and how it works. I am also interested in the chimes, I know how to play St.Paul chimes on the piano but I can’t find sheet music for my favourite chime which is St.James.
I found a video of a 11 tube playing St.James and I just found the sound really interesting.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
Reactions: Bruce Alexander

Anthony Fazio

Sep 9, 2020
Country
Hello Brian,
Yes me and my grandfather read the 13 tube thread last month. He is looking to buy a hall clock and i recommended a Jacques 13 tube but I told him that they are really hard to find. He sent you a PM conversation about that