Help with an Anker pin set pocket watch

F.Silva

Jun 14, 2019
Country
I'm new here and this is my first post.
I hope to learn here something about this subject and also get some help from you all.
I'm an archaeologist and always loved pocket watches.
Now, some time ago I own the little collection that my father had.
One of them is not working and I can't find great information about it.
Here is what I got until the moment:
On the dial it presents the label Anker.
The case it's in silver with the grouse swiss hallmark.
Inside, on the covers has again the grouse with a little T, but also the german crescent and crown.
For this reason, can I say that it was made between 1888 (beginning of german crescent and crown) and 1933 (end of swiss grouse) ?
Swiss made and exported to Germany ?
On the covers I find also a little shield that has inside: H.H.H. 800
Also find "Gallonné", the number "30296 33" and "Métal".
On the movement the only thing I can find is "Avance" and "Retard".
It's a pin set pocket watch, size 10 s, with 38,10mm diameter/1,500 in.
What can you say about this watch ?
Thanks in advance.

IMG_7798 - Cópia.JPG IMG_7796.JPG

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
A lot of Swiss watches have both Swiss and German Hallmarks on them
It does not mean that they were exported to Germany
If you can post a picture of the marks on the case people here could give you more help

Reactions: F.Silva

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi F.Silva, and welcome to the forum,

Inside, on the covers has again the grouse with a little T, but also the german crescent and crown.
For this reason, can I say that it was made between 1888 (beginning of german crescent and crown) and 1933 (end of swiss grouse) ?
Swiss made and exported to Germany ?
The grouse signifies a silver purity of 800/1000, which is repeated by the '800' mark. I think your assumptions about the possible dates are reasonable, although it was the Swiss Precious Metals Control Act of 1880 which introduced the uniform system, which included the grouse, across the whole country. The crescent and crown mark was apparently struck by the Swiss if the watch was likely to be exported to Germany. There's more information on Swiss hallmarks on David Boettcher's website here.

On the covers I find also a little shield that has inside: H.H.H. 800
Also find "Gallonné", the number "30296 33" and "Métal".
On the movement the only thing I can find is "Avance" and "Retard".
The 'H.H.H.' is probably the case maker's mark, 'Gallonné' means silver gilt, and the 'Métal' mark is, I assume, on the cuvette or inner back cover, which was very often just plated base metal, even if the rest of the case was in a precious metal. The 'Avance' and 'Retard' on the movement regulator scale are French for 'Fast' and 'Slow'. The vast majority of Swiss watches made during the latter part of the 19th century had no signature or any other means of identifying their makers.

Regards,

Graham

F.Silva

Jun 14, 2019
Country
Thank you Les harland and Graham !
Here are some more photos.
So, I assume that having the swiss and german hallmarks means only that the watch could be exported to Germany and not that it was really exported, right ?
And yes, the "Metal" mark is in the inner back cover as Graham said.
What can be the mark "NC" on the pendent (see photo) ?
I ask if the brand Anker is completely unknown ?
Thanks
Fernando

IMG_7802 - Cópia.JPG IMG_7815 - Cópia.JPG IMG_7819.JPG IMG_7816 - Cópia.JPG IMG_7795.JPG IMG_7804 - Cópia.JPG

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Fernando,

So, I assume that having the swiss and german hallmarks means only that the watch could be exported to Germany and not that it was really exported, right ?
Yes, quite right, as described in John Matthews' recent thread.

What can be the mark "NC" on the pendent (see photo) ?
It's probably the maker of that part of the case; more than one person was usually involved with making cases, and pendants and bows were often separately made.

I ask if the brand Anker is completely unknown ?
If you search on mikrolisk for the word 'Anker', you get a lot of matches, but the trouble is, the word 'anker' in German means 'anchor' in English as well, so many of the hits are just for the trademarks with pictures of anchors, not always the word itself. However, most of the entries appear to be for German companies, which probably rules them out for your watch.

The serial numbers on these watches are now completely meaningless in the absence of any surviving work books or other records, and since the makers aren't known either.

Regards,

Graham

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
grouse with a little T
The little 'T' identifies the Swiss Assay Office at Tramelan in the French speaking Bernese Jura, an administrative district in the Bern canton. It is no longer active, I am not absolutely certain when it ceased to operate, but it may have operated between 1881 and as late as 1995. The shape of the cartouche surrounding the grouse was, I believe, used from 1881 until 1933. Tramelan has been a centre of watch making and today it is the location of the luxury watch brand, Armond Nicolet, which dates back to 1875.

John

F.Silva

Jun 14, 2019
Country
Thanks John

The little 'T' identifies the Swiss Assay Office at Tramelan in the French speaking Bernese Jura, an administrative district in the Bern canton.
John
So, can this explain the words only in french, "Avance" e "Retard" marked on the balance cock ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wileyhouse
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller