Help with abnormal clock design

Raywb

New User
Sep 24, 2021
Country
I'm trying to make a clock, but it's a very specific kind of clock that wouldn't use traditional gears...or, if it is traditional, an untraditional method of executing it. The "hands" are the faces of the clock. An inner face that is hours, an outer face that is minutes, as well as a small face connected to the inner face that flips every 12 hours. I will embed a GIF file showing every movement on this particular clock. I just don't know where to start with the gears, or how it would even work.

tumblr_7fe3c8e5b59b0a6a292a6a704277f34d_e8552397_500 (1).gif

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Are you acquainted with the Jefferson Golden Hour clock? It has an electric motor set in the base that turns the glasses. Here's a pretty good website that describes it: The origin of the Jefferson Mystery clock (roger-russell.com)

I wonder if you could do something similar - have the motor in the base turn the outer minute ring which could have a trip lever that advances the inner dial hourly. You could have a spring loaded gizmo (or if you're using electricity, a solenoid) mounted in the case that kicks the small circle every 12 hours actuated with a trip lever added to the back of the hour dial. Just a thought.

What a cool idea! Best of luck!

Reactions: Raywb

Raywb

New User
Sep 24, 2021
Country
The origin of the Jefferson Mystery clock (roger-russell.com) I wonder if you could do something similar - have the motor in the base turn the outer minute ring which could have a trip lever that advances the inner dial hourly.
I feel some clarity knowing I'm finally one step closer to solving this mystery! It's my first working with gears or sets or anything like that, let alone a clock. It looks like it uses a counterweight to turn the hour hand every full rotation of the minute hand, but is this an actual weight? Is the weight important? Or is it just a stationary piece that is there for gears? Thank you for the advice, I'm getting so many ideas, now I just need a little more knowledge on the subject...

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
I'm not well versed in the Golden Hour clocks (although I think I have one somewhere around...). Hopefully someone who knows more will pop in and help.

On the same website listed above they show a clock motor with a gear attached - I wonder if you could attach a gear to the minute post and one to the hour post to drive your dials.

1632587998207.png

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Two high torque quartz movements? One for each dial? The dials would have to be made of lightweight materials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maintainthestatusquo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner