• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Help with a Waltham model 1883

Rick in Ohio

New User
Dec 3, 2021
Country
I've inherited this Waltham model 1883, SN 6038394. It's clean and runs (to me) as good as new. It's always been in our family.

Researching the serial number database gave me all I think I need on the movement, but I have some questions on the case. On the inner lower case cover is stamped "Premier" bordered by a stretched hex shape. Under that is stamped "5065841", above the premier stamp upside down is stamped "G70A". The 5065841 is also stamped wrapped around the face of the case next to the movement.

In addition to that there is hand etched notations at the top of the same cover face that reads "L-1255 (or L-125S)", and below that "K-3-69-C40". My assumption is that is possibly from a jeweler repairing or cleaning the watch.

Any info on the case maker, material, finish, etc. would be appreciated. Also anyone's idea of a insurance value, I've reviewed Ebay and couldn't find anything close and in the same type of condition. Please see the pics, I'll try to answer any questions. 1a.jpg 2b.jpg 3c.jpg 4d.jpg 5e.jpg

Reactions: viclip and musicguy

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Rick,

Welcome to the NAWCC Forum!

Nice family watch

Rob

Reactions: Rick in Ohio

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Very nice watch. The Crescent St. was Waltham's highest grade 1883 model. The damaskeening of the plates is wonderful.

It's difficult to say without having the watch in hand, but I'd guess that the case, though in nice shape, was a relatively lower quality gold-filled one. I don't know which maker used the "Premier" marking.

Steven Mercer

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2001
Country
Region
Rick

The Premier name was used by the American Watch Case Co. (Canadian Company) The Premier case was their 25 year 14K gold filled case which was one of their highest grade of cases.

You can read more on the American Watch Case Co., both the American and the Canadian companies in the encyclopedia article at this link:

There is a chart that shows the case names and the years the cases were warrantied to wear before getting to the base metal.

Hope this helps.

Steven

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
The trademark on your case ("Premier" inside a cartouche) matches that used by the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. for a 5 year guaranteed gold-filled case. It does not match the "Premier" trademark used by the American Watch Case Co. of Toronto.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Thanks to all for lending their expertise on this watch, it's certainly helped me understand and appreciate the watch.
It's our pleasure here at the NAWCC forum
to let people know what they have, and you have a very
nice exapmple!

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zgw3kszo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions