Help with a Regula Cuckoo Clock - hands don't work properly

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
I've been asked to try and get a cuckoo clock working again... It's a Regula 30 hour and it appears to have been dropped. It was in pieces and the roof is missing. Anyway, when I put it on the test stand and attached the weights, the time train ran fine. When I moved the hands, the strike train worked perfectly. BUT the hands don't move unless I move them manually. They're on firmly, but it seems like there's a disconnect between the time train, the hands and the strike train. So can anyone point me to a solution, please?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Sounds like the drop has hit the end of the main shaft which the hands are connected to and has thus changed the tension on the canon. This will need to be readjusted(tightened_ It should be able to slip enough to set the hands but tight enough to rotate with the wheels so that they can display the time correctly.
Pictures will help. However, the movement will have to come apart to repair this on a Regula..

Here is a different example of what I mean. ie: not a Regula. It has the canon/clutch on the minute wheel rather than the main shaft. https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/cuckoo-runs-but-hands-dont.39656/#post-293127

Sadly some of the images in that thread have gone.

However, we are in luck because I have teased a photo of what you need to see from another member here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mitchf2

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
What Roughbarked said, pardon my rust but it's going to be the spring in the center of the photo that needs tightened. PXL_20220522_204117194.jpg

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
What Roughbarked said, pardon my rust but it's going to be the spring in the center of the photo that needs tightened.
Hi Vernon, thanks for the photo and for your help. I haven't taken the movement apart yet, because I haven't got any replacements for the e clips. Does anyone know where I can order some? The book that I've got says not to reuse them? I've googled, but I don't know what size to look for. When I do take it apart, how do I tighten the spring? I can see that the (not sure of the name) stopper(?) is loose, it can easily be moved along the minute wheel shaft - I've added an arrow to your photo.

Loose spring.jpg

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
You definitely need to give a closer look. There is a plastic gear on the time winding shaft driving a plastic gear on the minute arbor.
Additionally, your book is incorrect. The e clips can be used many time over..

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There is no "spring" on the chain-wheel arbor.

You will be replacing the chain-wheel assembly (usually easy) or just the black plastic gear (a little more difficult).

Willie X

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
When I do take it apart, how do I tighten the spring? I can see that the (not sure of the name) stopper(?) is loose, it can easily be moved along the minute wheel shaft - I've added an arrow to your photo.
Slide the sleeve away from the spring a little before adding a very small amount of super glue or similar to the arbor. Slide it back with a light pressure against the spring. Clean the arbor with some alcohol first. You could use something like this to help where it will catch the sleeve yet allow the arbor to pass through. If it is real loose, this will not work.
Vernon

PXL_20220612_160339397.jpg

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
Slide the sleeve away from the spring a little before adding a very small amount of super glue or similar to the arbor. Slide it back with a light pressure against the spring. Clean the arbor with some alcohol first. You could use something like this to help where it will catch the sleeve yet allow the arbor to pass through. If it is real loose, this will not work.
Vernon
Thanks Vernon, I've been googling and somebody called it a "press fit" - who knew! :) After getting it apart, the press fit bit is really loose, but I'll try a bit of super glue, just need to find my bottle of alcohol to clean the arbor first. To me this looks like a design fault because if the "press fit" was a bit longer it could press lightly against the back plate and it wouldn't be a problem.

IMG_1569[1].JPG

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
I see, you have two problems??
And, there are two similar threads running.
Willie X
Not really (well I don't think so, anyway... I hope it's just the one problem!) Hopefully getting this bit to press the spring, keeping the wheel connected to the rest of the time train, will get everything to co-operate and the time train will communicate with the clock hands which will communicate with the strike train! BUT first I'll need to get it all back together... that'll be fun!:rolleyes::D

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
I'd be looking to replace the cracked wheel first.
I hope I haven't led you astray here.
The spring on the centre wheel should be less important that repairing the black plastic wheel.
See posts #8 and #9.
roughbarked Believe me, nothing is cracked on my clock - that photo is not of my clock. I'm not sure what "carbon black" has to do with anything either.

These two wheels with RED Arrows are NOT PLASTIC :???::???::???:?
TEACLOCKS, you're not paying attention - THAT'S NOT MY CLOCK.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
roughbarked Believe me, nothing is cracked on my clock - that photo is not of my clock. I'm not sure what "carbon black" has to do with anything either.
OK. So if the black wheels are not cracked and maybe not even plastic or plastic with carbon black, then we are back to the central spring canon.

Last edited:

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
... You could use something like this to help where it will catch the sleeve yet allow the arbor to pass through. If it is real loose, this will not work.
Vernon
Vernon, where did you get that little gem? Okay, I doubt I'd be able to get one here in Australia, but it looks extraordinarily useful!

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Probably Timesavers, you could use a crows foot or even part the jaws on a bench vice just enough. Make your own, idea is to hold the parts until the glue sets.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Just a note: Regula's hands wont turn without pressure on them. You have to assemble the nuts and everything to make them go.

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
Thanks to everyone who has offered advice so far. I've got the clock back together and the hands are turning beautifully, BUT... the cuckoo calls the same number of times on the hour and half hour, so at 4 o'clock it calls 4 times, but at 4:30 it also calls 4 times, then at 5 o'clock it calls 5 times, etc. It seemed to be working correctly on the test stand before I put it back in the case... Can someone please tell me what I've done wrong?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
A typical problem with Regula is that the lifting lever that runs off the star on the centre wheel is able to be bent.
Because the lifting star should have a shorter lift for the half hour, a slight bend of the lever can be lifting the rack far enough to strike at both ends.
Examine that and see if this is the case on your clock.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
The lever needs to be squeezed together a bit. If you really pay attention and you do a lot of the Regula and herrs, you will notice this sort of problem a lot: where the tab doesn't fall nicely I to each rack tooth, or the lift lever rubs the front plate and randomly sticks (more on the herrs), the rack not stopping at the end of a count and going back one space over and over. I've seen clocks that have never been apart that exhibit this problem. I have no idea how these levers, racks get bent out of shape.

The oddest Recurring problem I see is on the herrs. The weighted rod that drops into the fork, to lock the perch out. It either doesn't fall into the fork enough and the perch will open and close every cuckoo, or not release at all. The not releasing could be the rod has burrs or the fork does. The bouncing? No idea how a movement goes from working correctly to getting where it doesn't lock. I've seen herrs where the rod isn't even close to falling cleanly in the fork. How does this happen? What is the easy fix for this? I've seen tooling marks from thw factory when they were still around that looks like the forks were bent either toward the back or front plate.

Last edited:

mitchf2

Dec 16, 2021
Country
I'd like to thank you ALL for your ever-so-helpful advice. It's been an education and I finally got the strike train working perfectly after adjusting it too much so it was only striking once on the hour and the half-hour, then over-correcting again and again... but every time I learned a bit more about how things actually work in there!
And just to finish this off, here are some pictures of my clock, as you'll see, it's an OLD one, with absolutely NO plastic parts to be seen IMG_1633[1].JPG IMG_1634[1].JPG . :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-