Help with a mystery movement

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Dennism, Oct 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dennism

Dennism Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Country Flag:
    I picked up this wooden works movement recently with the intention of using it for parts. I immediately noticed two things. One, it is in very good condition although very dirty. Two, interesting fixture on front plate, bottom right seems to be remnant of some sort of alarm attachment. I'm guessing this is a Seth Thomas due to the square hour hand mounting with pins(corners broken off). 42 tooth short drop. I have looked at Snowden Taylor's chart and don't see anything like it. Im very interested in getting to the bottom of this mystery and no, Im not using it for parts. IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1130.JPG IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1137.JPG

2. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An interesting movement and still a bit of a mystery, it would have been a shame if you parted it out. The missing lever is a release for an outboard alarm mechanism. The closest match is one used early by the Terrys for the window shade alarm and later by Seymour, Williams, and Porter for their outboard alarm. However, the lever is attached on the left side of the movement in the ones pictured in the Bulletin (No. 154 p. 1425 and No. 157 p. 339) and in the one example I can find here. I have a couple variants of the SW&P but currently can only find the one. Yours has an arrangement similar to the 8-day E. Terry & Sons example in Bulletin Supplement 18 Figure 85 p. 41.

3. Dennism

Dennism Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Troy for your research. I have it up and running with just a little intermittent beat problem that I am still working on. I don't have a case for it and I am hoping to get a little more info before putting it into something that is not appropriate.