Standard Electric Help with 2 Standard Electric Slave Clocks

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Hezekiah, Apr 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Hezekiah

Hezekiah Registered User

Apr 5, 2007
    engineer
    Massachussetts
    Region Flag:
    I picked these 2 clocks up at auction for 75-100 each and now that I have spare time would like to get them going. I read in the forum folks recommend the IMP-22K.

Looking at Clock 1 with the brass case.. I figure I can understand how to make this run with the IMP-22K. Let me know if you see something askew.

However looking at Clock 2 with the wooden case. I may have to wire from the solenoid style coils to the wooden coil in the inside of the case. The Patent date on the movement is May 24th 1887 and the label reads 1897/98. Is there anything I need to know before attempting this piece?

Just don't want to fry these. I bought them because of the condition they were in.

Any help would be great

John

clock 1A.jpg clock 1B.jpg clock 1C.jpg clock 2A.jpg clock 2B.jpg clock 2C.jpg clock 2D.jpg clock 2E.jpg

2. RODALCO

RODALCO Registered User

Mar 27, 2006
    Male
    Electrician
    New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    If you have an adjustable DC bench top supply it would be relatively easy to work out the voltage for the coil to operate.
    The voltage is most likely somewhere in between 6 and 24 Volts DC.
    These are impulse driven movements and they will receive a 30 second or one minute impulse to advance the movement.
    The old green cloth covered coil may be from a series connected clock system and may need 1.5 Volts at limited current of about 200 mA, like the old Gents (UK) clocks by the look of the wire size.

If you haven't got a bench top supply, use a string of 1.5 Volt C cells and start with 1.5 Volts, 3.0 Volt, 4.5 Volts and so on, till you get a positive action of the coil and advance of the minute hand.

You could also put a small 12 Volt 3 or 5 Watt car lamp in series with a 12 Volt car battery (current limiting) and test that way.

3. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    If the coil resistance is about 8 ohms, then use a 1.5V battery. If the coil resistance is 320 ohms or higher, a 24V power supply would be the likely requirement.