Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by mrbillscoins&collectibles, Mar 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mrbillscoins&collectibles

Mar 29, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi! I work for a local Coin and Collectible business and I bought this watch over the counter today, and needed some help with Identifying this Watch. it does use a lever to set the time or to wind it. Nutjob

IMG_9297.jpg IMG_9296.jpg IMG_9298.jpg IMG_9299.jpg IMG_9300.jpg IMG_9301.jpg

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe this watch is European, so I am going to move it over to that forum for better help.

3. mrbillscoins&collectibles

Mar 29, 2017
    Country Flag:
  4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi mrbillscoins&collectibles and wellcome to this message board ! Please post more pics of the movement especially the balance wheel from different angles.It looks as if it was indeed a chronometer escapement/pivoted detent. Best would be pics if the watch is not running.If it is a chronometer escapement You ´d have a verry desirable watch (in my eyes at least)
    Best
    Burkhard

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These are definitely European, but yours is finished for an English-speaking market. Some are marked "Chronometre" and some, like yours, "Chronometer". I have seen several examples of this same basic movement - all with pivoted detent escapement and helical hairspring. I suspect the movements were bought and finished by various finishers and the quality can be quite variable. I have, unfortunately, one of the cheaper versions. Yours appears to be finished to a considerably higher level than mine. Most that I have seen have a nickel finish, but I think the gilt finish on yours looks better. I don't think it is a high-end chronometer but is one of the better finished versions of this model.
    View attachment 338328

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry has it right. These were popular in the late 1800's and turn of the 20th century. These pivoted detent escapements. The lever on the bezel is for setting.

These are decent quality timepieces but by this time testing, especially at Neuchatel had shown that the pivoted detent was not as good as the lever for precision timekeeping.

It became a relatively cheap way to offer a timepiece that could truly be called a chronometer, not a cheap watch, but less expensive than making a lever watch that could pass Swiss Observatory tests for a a lever chronometer.

7. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    The watch case is 14 karat solid gold.