Welch Please ID this Clock American Help understanding what model Welch, Spring, and Co shelf clock I have

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Derek Frewert, Oct 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Derek Frewert

Derek Frewert New Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

I acquired this case and have been doing my best to understand what it is and how to find parts for it. Most recently I was shown that it is very similar to a Welch, Spring, and Co Calendar No 3 only made as a shelf clock. It is right at 44" tall and does have one pulley but with the wind position @ 2 o'clock I can't find anything that gets me closer to being able to rebuild this.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. If I can understand what it is I will then be able to start my hunt.

email pic.jpg email pic.jpg email pic1.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it appears to have started out as a welch spring & co. regulator 3, but everything under the the bottom door was added to the case... and they wouldn't have used a plywood back, and the back and top would have been finished the same as the front. someone has gotten creative.

the original no. 3 movement (and dial) would have had two winding arbors (and pulleys), with the winding holes at 4 and 8... and a b.b. lewis calendar movement.

it's hard to tell from the photos, but the dials look awfully clean... maybe someone configured the top dial to take a banjo clock (or other regulator) movement and had the dials re-painted.... in the no. 3 pictured in tran the calendar dial numbers are not all vertical. see the photo from (and link to) the clock guy: Antique Clocks Guy: We bring antique clocks collectors and buyers together. Always the highest quality antique clocks available.

whatever movement you try and put in the top will need to be able to lift a rod once every 24 hours to trigger the calendar movement below... whether you use a bb lewis, an ST, an ithaca, etc. the welch spring and co. round head no. 4 is a relatively easy one to find online (and here on the message board) to see how they approached their double-dial calendar movements.

i think if it were mine i would measure the distance from the center hole to winding arbor hole and look for a banjo clock or st regulator 2 movement that fit, and kludge something to hold a non-working calendar hand... unless you could come up (or had) a calendar movement and were into making the parts you needed to make them work together.

it's a nice case, but presents some challenges...

email pic.jpg WelchCalendarRegNo3.jpg