• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Help to put it back.It dropped and not sure how to put it back in.Begging for a sample photo of

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Mary Pete ---

I'm very new at this stuff, so I might not have this exactly correct but I'll try and get you started. The short story is that I think there's a part missing... the suspension spring... that is not shown in either of your pictures. I've annotated your pictures and the letters and numbers below refer to those pictures..

backplate.jpg Parts.jpg

Okay.. the middle part, indicated by "A" in the picture on the right, is the anchor or verge that engages and regulates the escape wheel inside the movement. There should be a little thin pin, called a pivot, protruding from the spindle indicated by "A" and that pin would probably fit into the hole marked "B" in that other part (the "saddle," I think). It looks like the saddle would be held, through holes 1 and 2, to the backplate using screws 1 and 2 in the picture on the left, but I can't tell for SURE, and you want to look inside the movement to make sure those screws are not holding ANYTHING else in place before loosening them.

Under no circumstances should you loosen any screws that hold the front plate of the movement to the backplate of the movement (shown in the picture on the left) without FULLY releasing the mainsprings.

At the other end of the spindle ("A"), called an "arbor," should be another tiny pin that will go into a matching hole in the front plate that I can't quite make out in your picture, but it should be somewhere around where arrow "F" indicates. If the anchor is installed correctly, it should rotate freely and the two little tiny curved pieces of metal protruding from the anchor (called "pallets") should alternately engage teeth in the escape wheel just below it inside the movement.

Now.. between the part indicated by "C," and the part indicated by "D" at the top of the pendulum, there should be a flat spring of some kind, held in place by the pin at C, and usually a hook at D or another pin of some kind. I don't see that spring anywhere, and you need it. Others with WAY more experience can probably tell you exactly what movement you have just by looking at it, and what spring you need, but I don't have that experience or knowledge.

The parts indicated by the double headed arrow should fit together where indicated; the pendulum shaft rides inside that slot in the verge.

I hope that helps somewhat. I'm not sure you'll be able to just reassemble the clock, even if you had the spring, and expect it to run after having dropped it. Also not sure how that saddle came off the two screws holding it in place from a drop? My gut tells me you may need to take it to a shop.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I suggested your post be moved to the clock repair section, where you will be more likely to get the help you need. I’ve never seen an escapement like this, but I’m sure there are others who will jump in and point you in the right direction.

Reactions: tracerjack

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Follow Muse Chasers directions to put it back together.

To get the right size suspension spring, when you have the other parts on the clock (A and C) hold the pendulum in the slot at the bottom of A and balance the distance between the bottom and top of the narrow part of the pendulum while in that slot, then measure the distance from the inside top of the hook on the pendulum to the hole in C is about the right length of the suspension spring. Search Goggle forTimesavers and look at suspension springs with a hole in the top and a pin in the bottom and marry up the size as best you can.
Your clock is a Gustav Becker, a search will give you loads of info on him.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There is usually enough adjustment on the pendulum to compensate for just about any suspension spring. You could get an assortment if you like.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I think we’ve all missed something here. See pic below; I think the crutch rod is broker 3ED723F0-AC34-45CF-AE27-06B6FD0E5772.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I can't tell if it's broken or bent at a 90° angle.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I can't tell if it's broken or bent at a 90° angle.
I agree..looks like a pair of 90 degree bends to create on offset, although the corner is very well-defined and sharp for a bend.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.