• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Help to Identify Vintage Wind UpShelf Clock

judyandrichie

Sep 17, 2016
Country
I cannot find any marking on this clock and cannot take the back off. Can anyone identify the maker? Thanks.

clock1.jpg clock2.jpg clock3.jpg clock4.jpg clock5.jpg clock6.jpg clock7.jpg clock8.jpg clock9.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

You have posted your question in the proper forum, as the folks who can answer your question review this forum often. However, without seeing the back of the movement, identifying your clock with certainty will be difficult.

The gong stand, which shows in your 7th picture, can sometimes hold clues, but I do not recognize it. Perhaps someone will.

Regards.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The gong is definitely oriental, possibly Korean. It appears to be an oriental knock-off of some of E.N. Welch's finer clocks, such as the Patti. Perhaps 1970's or later.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, modern Korean reproduction clock and, just a guess from the stamp number on the back, possibly from 1993. But that is just a guess.

JTD

Reactions: judyandrichie

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
I suspect it's Korean 31-day. In the 1980's or 1990's when my niece and nephews were marrying I bought 4 or 5 various styles of Korean clocks from Merritts (speling) for wedding gifts. A hanging kitchen, a Patti, and a couple others.

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Probably a reproduction American clock made in the Orient.
80’s or 90’s at age [ as in decade ]

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Ditto the comments already made.

I think your clock is trying to be a Welch Patti clock.

IMCO, there is no need to show any part of the movement for further identification. Though indicated in many instances (and sort of the knee jerk initial response to about every inquiry on the Forums), as far as I'm concerned, res ipsa loquitur.

In the 19th century, the American company E.N. Welch made a line of high quality clocks named after popular opera singers of the day. One of them was named after Adelina Patti:

Adelina_Patti_1863.jpg

As far as the clocks go, there was a full sized version and a miniature. As mentioned, very high quality cases, especially considering what most American clock factories were cranking out, with high quality and different from typical movements.

See this for pix of a miniature and full sized versions:

www.cottoneauctions.com/lots/expanded/40789

I think I see unoccupied dowel holes, so your version might be missing finials. Note the attempt to imitate the Sandwich glass pendulum bob, an important feature of the full sized version. The mini did have a brass one.

A nice clock to enjoy, but this modern Asian repop can't even begin to hold a candle to the originals.

RM

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motoolo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre