Help to identify verge fusee watch

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the board, Aequitas.

Firstly, ignore the "hallmarks". They are certainly not British hallmarks, they might be French assay marks, or they might be fraudulent mark. I can't make them out well enough to be sure. Whatever they are I doubt they will give you a date for the case.

I know very little about this type of movement, but a vague memory of others I've seen are saying to me that the movement isn't English, but might be French. I'm sure one of our experts here will tell you.

Loomes lists two John Wards in London working at a date which could match your watch - 1772-1813, 1784-1799.

Loomes

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
The watch looks like it has a Dutch origin, for certain it is of continental origin.

aequitas85

Mar 6, 2012
Hi, thank you both for the help and information:) so the watch is not made by John Ward, London? is the watch a "fake"?

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
If it is indeed Dutch as Ron suggests (and he is far more likely to be right than me!) then it probably would be classified as a fake because the use of the name "John Ward, London" could be considered to persuade a buyer that the watch was made in London by an English maker.

However ....

Watches were often "signed" on th movement or dial or case by a retailer, and nowhere by the maker, and this was considered a standard practice. In your case even I looked at the movement and thought it was not English so it is arguable that the English name was not intended to deceive. Further, as far as I know John Ward of London was not a famous maker in his day, so why would anyone choose to forge his name? If you're going to fake a watch then at least choose a famous maker whose watch will command a higher price!!!!

It is possible that this watch was made in Holland for a retailer in London called John Ward, and if so this would not be considered a real fake :)

Incidentally, even in the case of real fakes, they are often high quality watches in their own right. One of the most faked of all users (allegedly) was Breguet and the fake Breguets I have seen, all of which were definitelky intended to deceive, were very good quality watches which have significant value even if not at the heights of true Breguets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller