• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Help to Identify this clock please

Paul Fili

New User
May 20, 2020
Country
Hi All. I have been trying to find out anything I can about this little clock (it is about 10cm tall). I am new to the hobby and the only marks I can find are "Metal Dore" which I believe means gilded metal. Any information would be very much appreciated. Regards Paul.

thumbnail_IMG_6319.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6359.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6368.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
verry nice table clock,the style is Art Nouveau. To id the maker pics of the movement= the "works" would be helpfull.
Wellcome to this message board!
Burkhard

Paul Fili

New User
May 20, 2020
Country
Thanks very much Burkhard. I have only opened solid mantle clocks before. This clock seems fragile so a bit worried about opening it but will give it a go. Paul

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I don't think it will be very difficult to open this clock. I am guessing that on the back it has a winder and a hand-set knob. The winder will screw off anti-clockwise, the hand-set knob is probably just pull off (friction fit). Then there may be some small screws holding the back cover on. Remove them and then you can take off the cover plate.

This is just my supposition - if it is not like this, please let us know and help will be forthcoming!

It's a very pretty clock - I like it. I'm guessing it's French, around 1890-1910.

JTD

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
It's a very pretty clock - I like it. I'm guessing it's French, around 1890-1910.
Hi,

I agree with the above assessment. It is very likely French, indeed, and a very fine example of the Art Nouveau style as has been said. I would lean toward the earlier part of the suggested date, so closer to 1890, perhaps 1900 - 1910 seems a little late. Again, nice clock!

Regards.

Paul Fili

New User
May 20, 2020
Country
Hi. Thanks very much for the responses. I am researching this clock for a friend so I am being particulary careful that I don't damage it. The screw on one side came out very easily but I cant move the other. I tried to turn the winder anti clockwise but couldn't move it (again I am being careful, if it was mine I would probably apply more force). Is there any way to identify it without opening? I haven't been able to find any images of the same clock. Again, any advice very much appreciated. Regards Paul.

thumbnail_IMG_6371.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6372.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6376.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Is there any way to identify it without opening?
No, not that I know of..

The screw on one side came out very easily but I cant move the other
You may need to apply a drop of penetrating oil and let it soak in for a little while. The screw will give way eventually.

I tried to turn the winder anti clockwise but couldn't move it
This winder looks rather unusual. When you have the other screw(s) removed, you may find the back will just lift off. If not,we shall have to think again.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-