Help to identify regulator mantle clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Kim71, Nov 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kim71

Kim71 New Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi I purchased this clock from a local garage sale and would appreciate any information about this clock what type manufacturer country would it possibly have much value thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Kim, you have a clock made by Junghans, a German maker. As per rules we cant give a value in this forum. But there is another forum where you can post your picture and ask your question.

3. Kim71

Kim71 New Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi thank you kindly for your information.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #4 JTD, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Welcome to the board.

Just to add a little to what has already been said, your German (Junghans Co.) is also an alarm clock. To set the alarm, turn the little brass disc in the center clockwise until the time you want the alarm to go off is in line with the hour hand. Small warning - you can't turn the alarm off, you just have to let it wind down!

These clocks were more or less copies of American clocks of the period (before WW1), sometimes called kitchen clocks or gingerbread clocks. Yours has a nice case which seems to be complete, but it is very dirty and the varnish is 'alligatored'. Cleaned up it would look quite nice. Does it run?

Without breaking any rules, with regard to your question of value, my answer would be 'not much'. Do you want to tell us what you paid?

I should clean it up (learn how to clean and repair a clock's movement if you feel up to that - there are plenty here who would help you if you wanted to), and just enjoy it as a nice old clock.

JTD

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The logo on the dial is not a Junghans logo. It is either Wilhelm Jerger or Uhrenfabrik Villingen (Maurer, Pabst, und Schlenker). It might be good to see what is on the label behind the bell and pendulum. A look at the movement would also be nice.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Steven, you are of course right, you always are! I just briefly saw the identification as Junghans and took it as read. Closer inspection would have revealed that it was not a Junghans logo and I am embarrassed - I am supposed to know something about German clocks!

I am away from home and books at the moment, but two things wonder me. If it were an outlined J (not solid black) I would have said Jerger, and if had been a solid black J, I would have said Uhrenfabrik Villingen. However, and speaking from memory, I believe both logos had a black dot at the side of the J, like J. But I do remember the late H.-H Schmid writing about this and I think there was some discussion about it, but I have nothing by me to check.

Steven, do you remember that ?

JTD

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I don't offhand remember a specific discussion by Hans-Heinrich Schmid about the solid vs. the outlined "J," but his Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie (2d ed.) shows a Jerger advertisement from 1895 displaying a solid black "J" with the black dot after it. The Lexikon's article on the Uhrenfabrik Villngen shows a letter head from ca. 1905. That also has the solid black "J" followed by a black dot. Jerger merged his business with Uhrenfabrik Villingen AG about 1900. (BTW, I believe I mis-wrote when I mentioned Maurer, Pabst, und Schlenker. I think I should have written Maurer, Pfaff und Maier in connection with the Uhrenfabrik Vilingen. Of course, by the time of Jerger's merger, the Uhrenfabrik Villingen had become the Uhrenfabrik Villingen AG. That should be confusing enough).

I did find this thread, where Hans-Heinrich (aka Albra) points out that the clock in question has the older Jerger logo on the dial and the newer logo on the label. (Note the confusion about those who made up Uhrenfabrik Villingen, set straight, it seems by Doug Stevenson/zepernik in post # 8). Kim's clock above also seems to have the newer logo on its label. Now to see the movement.

Gad, I wish Doug and Hans-Heinrich were still around to keep some muddle-head like me from straying off the beaten path!

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It's the dot that worries me a bit.

I can't remember now what H.-H. Sch. said. When I get home, I'll look at the 3rd edn. of the Lexikon.

JTD

9. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Or lack of a dot? Neither Kim's clock nor the one in the thread I linked to seems to have one on the dial logo.

10. Kim71

Kim71 New Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi I removed the bell and the face covering the mechanism the mechanism also has the same symbol but does appear to be a dot or tear dropped shape beside it thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

11. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    My feeling is that this is a Wilhelm Jerger movement and clock.

12. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good eye Steven. Sometimes difficult to see in photos.

13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, that's what I meant really.

JTD