Help to ID Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Acagle30457, Feb 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Acagle30457

Acagle30457 New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I hope that someone might be able to help me with the origins of a clock that I have inherited from my Great Grandfather. This is a brass clock with ebony wood on it as well. My great grandfather purchased this back in the 1950’s or 1960’s. The gentleman that he bought it from, brought it back from England. It was told to my great grandfather that this clock came out of Buckingham Palace. Once clocks started to tarnish they would discard them instead of cleaning them. I have no idea if this a true story or not. I have looked all over to see if I could find a clock similar to this one. I am not really sure if I am even looking up with the correct style or keyword. I have not been able to find anything like it. I would like some pointing in the right direction. I took the clock to be repaired at a local clock shop and the owner suggested that I contact you. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

Unlikely. With no provenance it is almost impossible to know.

Even more unlikely. There is a dedicated clock maker at Buckingham Palace employed full time, who would never have let it 'tarnish' in the first place.

Your clock looks as if it might be French. If you can take off the bell at the back, you might find a maker's name or logo on the back plate. It is a very handsome clock and dates perhaps from 1860-80. Cleaned up it would look very fine. It is missing its back door.

Others may know more.

JTD

3. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, your clock is French and from what I can see of the movement, dates to the 19th century. Your clock is more or less a replica of an 18th or 17th century clock. A very impressive clock. If you can get some close up pics of the clock's movement, including any signatures, maybe we can tell you more. Don't be afraid to unscrew the bell to look for any signatures.

Oops I see JTD posted and was typing, so there is some repetitive information between us.

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Wow.

Really sounds like:

the-old-cock-and-bull-story-vector-5938327.jpg

RM

Old Rivers likes this.
  5. Acagle30457

Acagle30457 New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I found this mark behind the bell in the first picture and then the numbers below the mark.

IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0276.JPG

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Tardy (La Pendule Francaise) : Pinchon fils Aine, Paris, rue Michel le Comte, around 1880.

JTD

7. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know this French maker?
    I found one other reference to Pinchon Fils using the search engine from this message board.

If you do a Google image search for "Pinchon Fils", you will find a few more examples. Dates seem to be around 1880 or so.

It is possible the clock lived in England, there are quite a few French clocks that were originally sold in England.

The numbers from your second photo, the 6818 may be a production serial number. If your pendulum is stamped 6818, it was the original pendulum. Often you will find the numbers of the movement back plate and pendulum don't match, indicating the pendulum is not original to the movement. The 8.7 indicates the length of the pendulum, roughly 8.7 inches (in case the pendulum is lost, makes it handy to find a replacement of the correct length).

If the pendulum in your photo is supposed to be from your clock, I can tell you it's not the correct pendulum. It can be modified to work. Or, replacement French pendulums are readily available.

8. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pendulum lenght is 8 Pouce and 7 Lignes (208 mm), circa 8,19 inches.

9. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1 pouce = 1.0657 inches
    1 linge = 2.258 mm
    X 7 = 15.806 mm = .62228 inches.

You can calculate to get it exact. But I learned if you just say 8.7 inches, it's close. But yes less than .5 inches off.
    But didn't you mean to say 9.19 inches?

10. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm too old (or my eyes with PVA) to write and read in smartphones :( Correct lenght in mm is 232 according to french pendulum calculator. Or 9,13 inches.

BTW: Ligne, not linge ;)

11. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If she finds an old pendulum that says 8.7, it's exact.
    I calculated a pendulum length from pouces and lignes, that was almost exactly the same length in inches. But I think it was a shorter length, the longer the pendulum maybe the greater the discrepancy?
    I just didn't feel like explaining pouces and lignes earlier. I already typed enough for one post.