Help setting time WALTHAM 14 size

PostalWatchGuy

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2009
I have a 14 size Waltham pocket watch and can't seem how to figure out how to set the time. I tried pulling out stem and it doesn't pull out and there is no lever to set time. Is there another way?
thanks in advance

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Your watch is intended to be a stem set watch by pulling the stem outward into setting position. Here is a photo of the fairly simple mechanism. The "setting lever" within the movement shifts the rocking bar assembly under the dial into the setting position.
84setting.jpg

Sometimes these can be rather stiff to pull out and it may be that the setting parts need a touch of lubrication to work more freely.

If you are going to attempt working on this watch you should be aware that the stem of this model must be unscrewed from the "winding bar tip" before the movement can be removed from the case. You will need to insert a pin into the star symbol in the top plate -- your pin will drop into the slot at the end of the winding bar tip and lock it in place so that the stem can be unscrewed.

James Wrobel

NAWCC Member
Jan 17, 2020
Country
Thanks for the tip on the winding stem. I've never heard of this feature before. Do any other models have this feature?
jjw

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I've never heard of this feature before. Do any other models have this feature?
Yes, this was also used on the 6-size 1889 model. Look for the star in the top plate, either with a hole in it or a screw (for the same function).

Reactions: Rodney Leon

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
Photos - a model 1889 with star thing (from an earlier thread about the star thing),
and a model 1884 grade Hillside-with-a-screw-in-the-star-thing (from the Fattorini Challenge thread.)

DSCN8118.JPG DSCN6581.JPG

Reactions: luvsthetick

PostalWatchGuy

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2009
Your watch is intended to be a stem set watch by pulling the stem outward into setting position. Here is a photo of the fairly simple mechanism. The "setting lever" within the movement shifts the rocking bar assembly under the dial into the setting position.
View attachment 646303

Sometimes these can be rather stiff to pull out and it may be that the setting parts need a touch of lubrication to work more freely.

If you are going to attempt working on this watch you should be aware that the stem of this model must be unscrewed from the "winding bar tip" before the movement can be removed from the case. You will need to insert a pin into the star symbol in the top plate -- your pin will drop into the slot at the end of the winding bar tip and lock it in place so that the stem can be unscrewed.
I guess I need a threaded stem that fits in it.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I guess I need a threaded stem that fits in it.
Unless you know otherwise I would assume that your watch already has the correct stem. You need to try to unscrew the stem, as instructed in my post above (#3). Then the movement can be removed and analyzed to figure out what is not working.

This is what the stem should look like --
1884stem.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phil Jensen
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre