• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Help! Replacement Quartz Movement for 1930s Kienzle Table Clock

JonBetts

Jul 9, 2021
Country
I hope someone can help.
I have a beautiful 1930s Kienzle Table clock which when purchased.. had a incomplete movement in poor condition.
I’ve now removed the original movement and I’m going to have to replace it with a Quartz movement but I’m struggling to find one which will take the original hands. I think I’ve found one that will accept the hour hand bit the minute hand isn’t looking so good.
I’m hoping someone put there has been down this path and found a solution.
I’ve attached a few pictures.
I could buy a movement with the correct length shaft, that takes the hour hand and try to modify the minute shaft for the Kienzle minute hand.
The square hole in the minute hand is approx 2mm x 2mm .. maybe slightly smaller.
Many thanks….
Jon

8B172080-1907-4C79-BD3C-1DF53DE0A024.jpeg 4CF9C5A5-E661-4B4F-BA1B-300DF9ED0927.jpeg C0DFFA2B-9B5B-4204-9584-498E21B4403A.jpeg CB229AED-30B0-432C-BAF7-30ECAFCC42C6.jpeg 3A31C390-6FFE-471E-9082-5763D72A3E0F.jpeg

JonBetts

Jul 9, 2021
Country
Hi,

Thanks for looking. Good of you.

I’ve already been on contact with this company and apparently they can’t get hold of this one anymore. On the page you can only add it to your wish list .. not the cart.

I need the same shaft dimensions:

Total thickness of shaft 4.7mm.
Hour shaft : 4mm.
Minute shaft :1.5mm* square shaft
*(this part of the shaft has a squared shaft with a threaded end and has a nut to hold the minute hand in position)

But with a longer shaft length… approx 16mm or longer and I could always lose some length behind the face.

There other companies in the UK that have also run out of this one.

I need to find out where these Kienzle quartz movements are/were made and who they supply.

I am determined to find one.

Jon

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Jon,

Can you describe what's wrong and missing with the original movement? Mechanical movements are usually fixable, it just depends on the economics in the end.

Regards,

Graham

JonBetts

Jul 9, 2021
Country
unfortunately about 20% of it was missing and one of the previous owners managed to somehow allow some of the remaining parts to cease and even rust a bit.
Surprisingly the outside of the clock, including the face and hands are in excellent condition.
So I think unfortunately the original mechanism is not not an option.

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
This website seems to have some of the Kienzle movements. Scroll to Battery Clock Movements - Reclaimed - click on that and go to Unit No. 6.

Timetips - Clocks, Watches & Jewellery

I also did an eBay U.K. search for "carriage clock movement" and there are some low cost carriage clocks that have this movement (used of course).

JonBetts

Jul 9, 2021
Country
Thanks.. I’ll contact “Time tips” tomorrow and see if they can help.
I’d be very happy to put in a 2nd hand movement but I have no idea which ones would be compatible with my face depth and hands.
Is there a way of finding this out?
Thanks for your advice.
Jon

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Plus, your dial is convex... This other site Quartz Kienzle carriage clock movement 11mm shaft - Buy Clock Spare Parts Online says "total shaft length is 11mm and is suitable for a clock face up to 4mm".
So maybe put something flat behind the dial, stick something through the center hole and see if 11mm would work? It doesn't sound like it'll work with your measurement at 16-17mm.

I pulled out a quartz movement - this one has a total shaft length of 16mm, the hour shaft is 5mm and the minute shaft is 3.5mm across. If you use one like this you'd have to enlarge the minute and hour hand holes.

JonBetts

Jul 9, 2021
Country
The original moment has a 16mm shaft (maybe 16.5mm). The face is currently 9mm thick. I could try and remove a 2.5mm backplate behind the face that would mean I’d need a 13.5mm shaft.
I’m determined to use the original hands and the shaft has to clear the face by 7mm to accommodate these hands and crown nut.

Even the 11mm quartz movement is not in stock anymore so that’s wouldn’t have been an option.

I’ll keep searching…

JonBetts

Jul 9, 2021
Country
Timetips is out. They sold me a movement to use on this face for £18 but it will be impossible to use the original hands… Shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-