Help reading Dial Caliper

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ChrisCam, Oct 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, quite honestly I do not understand how to read this dial caliper I bought. Why ...because the dial goes from 0 to 100 then 0 to 100 giving 200 graduations but as its a .001 inch dial:???: I'm sure there's a simple explanation but not found one yet on the web...can any one help? I should say I do know how to read the rest of the caliper and you add the dial reading, it's just the dial I don't understand yet.

Regards
    Chris

dialforweb.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen that dial on metric ones were a whole revolution is 0.2mm, presumably on yours a whole revolution is 0.002"

3. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Nick, have just figured it out (unless someone knows better). The dial you just read as is. for example if it says 40 regardless of which half the pointer is that is your reading when added to the sliding scale. What happens the dial has in effect 2 sections one half reads for over .1,.3,.5 etc the other half dial for .2,.4 etc. So its easy once the penny has dropped.

Chris

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could confirm your hunch by finding something that you already know the thickness by some other means, say another caliper that you use often. Use both to measure the same thing, and then you know. My old work place has precision blocks for just this purpose. Maybe there's a machine shop around that would offer the same kind of measurement calibration.

Kurt

5. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kurt, I have another so good idea.
    chris

6. measuretwice

measuretwice New Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I always thought that style dial was for QA. Say the nominal size was 1" with a +- tolerance of 5 thou. Set the dial to zero at one inche then its slightly easier to check a lot of parts to see of they're in with tolerances. Still should be .200" per rev, so just 100 if you past 6 O'clock on the dial

7. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks interesting thought about QA.
    Chris