• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Help!! Please help !!identify American weight driven movement

mbegalla

Nov 23, 2008
Florida
Country
Region
Please help identify unusual early American brass movement came from a triple-decker the rear square plate is actually part of the movement very unusual clock movement

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Best I can suggest, to avoid being too long and repetitive, is to refer you to this earlier thread. Compare the movement there and check out the links in it for additional information.

Ken Robert's book, The Contributions of Joseph Ives to Connecticut Clock Technology, also shows the movement in a Silas Terry clock (p. 184, fig. 93). The movement is most likely a Silas Terry product.

I just re-looked at the articles in the thread I linked to. If I understand correctly, the style of movement you have, with the semi-circular EW bridge, was not sold by Terry but reserved for use in his own clocks.

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Please help identify unusual early American brass movement came from a triple-decker the rear square plate is actually part of the movement very unusual clock movement
That is a pretty neat movement.

I guess the general consensus is that it may be a SBT product. Similar movements with differences may be found in clocks by SBT as well as other firms.

I suspect they were SBT products.

For a nice discussion of these and other SBT 8 day brass movements, see this article by one of my favorite late scholars, F.H. McMillan:

http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/1960/articles/1965/117/117_838.pdf

Also see Dr. Taylor's discussion of these movements with round front plates and solid square back plates (you will have to scroll down some to find the relevant parts):

http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/1990/articles/1990/264/264_71.pdf

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-