Help please dating a "Synchronome"

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by NANETTE, Mar 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NANETTE

NANETTE New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I seem to have an unusual pendulum with the "Synchronome I have bought. I wonder if it goes with the movement. If anyone can hazard a guess at date I would be very grateful. David

Attached Files:

2. rogerj

rogerj Registered User

Dec 21, 2014
    retired broadcast engineer
    Cornwall
    Country Flag:
    Hi..One thing you can be absolutely sure of is that if your clock was a factory Synchronome it could be instantly dated from the serial number. Your clock does not have one. At one time you could buy many components from the company and plans were actually published in a book by Frank Hope-Jones (the creator). Many home mechanics made their own - some stuck religiously to the original plans but others did their own thing. AFAIK Synchronome never made a clock with a mercury jar bob. They always used an Invar rod and a 16lb solid lump of iron or, later, steel for the bob. The case is not correct for a Synchronome nor are the dial/hands so I think you have one of the "home-made" examples. IMHO, unfortunately you may never be able to date it..