Help on identifying Seth Thomas clock 'Please!'

danh

Mar 29, 2011
Hi

Hi. I have just acquired a Seth Thomas mantle clock. It does not seem to have the unique date code on it though and i can;t find the same clock online anywhere to see if has value or what it is. It is about 10inch High and 8 Inch wide. It says Seth Thomas on the front and SF by the small hole (which i guessed means sanfrancisco?). Then it says made in the USA at the bottom of the dial . It has a seth thomas sticker on the underside which says seth Thomas clock co and est 1813 etc New York, Chicago, San Fran. No 3 Leader.

Inside the back, the working parts have the ST logo and the number 89 scribed on the bottom left of the working parts. Before i mention the repair issue, do you know what i have or its value as cannot find a leader no3 mantle clock anywhere online? Pictures attached of the clock.

I have a key with it and followed instructions online on how to wind it. When inserting the key and trying to turn there wasn't much slack. I turned what i could and the clock started to work for a minute and then stopped. In the back the smaller cog attached to the pendulum almost runs out of strength for the lever to catch the tooth of the cog. Any ideas on the thing? I really don't want to invest alot into it and don;t really collect these things, but would like to pass it on to someone who may apreciate it more. It would just be nice to know what i have, the date and a value etc.
Any assistance greatly appreciated on what it is and what maybe wrong with it.

Regards

Dan.H

Attachments

gilbert

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2009
Country
Region
Re: Help on identifying Set hThomas clock 'Please!'

no 3 leader is the name of the clock. the sf is the slow fast adjustment. Values are not allowed here. For getting it to run check for posts on how to get it in beat. Shoeld have an even tick...tock...tick...tock not tick.........tock.tick.............tock

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region

Dan, Welcome to the message board. The Leader No. 3 shows up in the 1924 Seth Thomas catalog and was likely produced for at least a few years before and after 1924. David, owen.or

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region

Looking at where the bob is suppose to be, or maybe it's my eyes, but is it missing?

gilbert

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2009
Country
Region

Looking at where the bob is suppose to be, or maybe it's my eyes, but is it missing?
I believe its hiding behinf the gong base (quessing that is mounted to bottom of case)

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

I can see the loop on top of the bob at the end of the suspension spring, CJo:D.

danh

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks to those who have added somthing so far. Is there an online converted version of the old catalogs to see the details of the leader no 3?
If not, does some one have a copy of the catalogs that they could check some specs and information o pass to me.

Does anyone know why there is not much information online anywhere about this particular clock. Any further help on how to get the clock working based on the responses would be great

Thanks and regards

Dan

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
danh,

I have a similar S-T clock and looked for years before I could find any mention of it. I think that the reason for this is that these clocks were very common and not sought by collectors.
These clocks were looked at much as the 'Black Mantels' were, worth very little to nothing until all clocks started to become 'collectible' back in the late 60s and 70s. They were often called 'round top mantels' and I have always liked the very simple, compact, and functional design.

Willie X