Help on a C.H. Meylan

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Steve Maddox, May 22, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

It sounds like you have a reasonably nice "vintage" pocket watch. By no means am I an expert on Swiss watches (or any others for that matter), but the firm of C.H. Meylan & Co. (or C.H. Meylan Watch Co.) has a good reputation, and their products are fairly well regarded even among "casual" collectors. According to a popular watch book, the firm was founded in 1880, in Le Brassus, Switzerland.

Apparently, several members of the Meylan family were active in watch production and sales. The firm of A.R. & J.E. Meylan produced chronographs and stopwatches, which are fairly common, but nicely made. I think there may have been another Meylan or two in the watch business as well, but generally speaking, C. H. Meylan is probably considered to be the "premier" Meylan firm.

I know this is probably of little assistance, but perhaps it's better than nothing!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

2. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mark,
    The scratched numbers on the inside of the case back are watchmakers marks, put in when the watchmaker cleaned or serviced the movement. They can be any system the watchmaker liked, some are the date the watch was worked on, others are invoice numbers or (for newer marks) a code assigned to an individual watchmaker by the A.W.I to help trace the watch if lost or stolen.

------------------
    Ed Ueberall
    NAWCC #49688