help needed

PHIL P

Dec 5, 2005
i am just wondering if any one know where i can purhcase a new main spring in it case for a koma clock model below

According to the 10th edition of the Horolovar repair guide, your clock was made in 1951, plate 1393A. as i dont have the equipment to change spring so it would be easy if i could just change the spring and drum over
many thanks if you can help me with this problem

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Hi Phil, is your main spring damaged or broken? If not, it probably doesn't need to be changed, just a good clean and oil. You could take the barrel assembly to a clock shop and have them remove and clean it or fit a new spring. I don't think you will find a new barrel and spring as a unit.

Cheers
Peter

PHIL P

Dec 5, 2005
spring is broken i have removed the broken spring from it case i know the size of the spring is 20mm wide and the drum is 38mm diameter the issue i have is if i purchase a new spring do i need a spring winding tool and spring clamps to fit into the barrel as i have change a spring on a 8 day english clock from 1 barrel to another with pliers and small vise grips but i wouldnt do it again
but if the new spring are already clipped so you can just clip them on to the pin and then remove the clip

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Hi again Phil, the new springs do come wound and clipped and you could fit it and let the clip go once you had the spring half in the barrel. The only problem is that "ALL" new springs should be cleaned and oiled before being installed. This is because they have a protective coating to prevent rust, which should be removed and they are not oiled. If you go to a local clock shop and all you need is for them to put the spring in the barrel, it should be fairly cheap. A lot cheaper than buying a main spring winder or a new barrel if you can get one.

If you really get stuck, contact me off line and I will put the spring in for you. All it will cost you is the postage both ways. I am in Tasmania.

Cheers
Peter

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hi Phil. I posted a way to install the springs by hand several months ago - you can use "find" to read it. Of course there are drawbacks, and a winder is much better, but I installed springs by hand for ages before I got my first winder with almost no issues :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan8744
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff