Help needed with Wolf Jahn tailstock

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
I recently bought this tailstock, which has missing parts. I thought it would just be a cam/lever that was needed, but not so.There is no cutout to the spindle support tube to allow access to the actual spindle. Looking down the support tube shows no cutout or slits etc. Could this be a factory error? I could mill through the support tube to solve this, but if I am wrong it would destroy it's history. Does anyone have one of these who could give me some advice?
Dave. View attachment 651176 View attachment 651177 View attachment 651178
'
Dave
Your tool post appears to have been sleeved and drilled in an attempt to utilize it with a lathe it was not designed for. In this case it was not even close per your photos.

Any tailstock that is not original to the lathe will need to be line bored to achieve useful accuracy similar to original manufacture. This can be accomplished in at least a couple of different ways if your willing to put in the time and effort. However, if the equipment used to make the tooling and setup for a successful outcome is similar in size , it will have greater capabilities and efficiency than what your working on. In that case, you would have no need for what your working on unless it is a restoration for display.

In the early years, I beat my head against the wall with equipment modifications that were just never right and wasting part of my life developing manipulation skills Luckily, one day the light bulb came on and I sold everything and purchased only useful quality equipment that needed nothing. At this point, I was now able to develop the useful skills I wished to develop.

Good Luck
Jerry Kieffer

dave-b

Jul 28, 2010
Country
Thanks Jerry, while I believe this to be un-altered and original, it has become for me of purely historic interest. I shall be doing nothing more to it. Thanks for everybody's help.
Dave.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Thanks Jerry, while I believe this to be un-altered and original, it has become for me of purely historic interest. I shall be doing nothing more to it. Thanks for everybody's help.
Dave.
Dave
One can come across many strange things over time, however I cannot image a manufacturer who would perform the type of workmanship displayed in your third photo.
If you were to find an original, I am certain it would contain a spindle the same diameter as the sleeve. This would be the typical size used where the spindle is machined for a collet and would also contain a drawbar. The opening at the bottom of the spindle would then contain the typical cam lock lever.
Lever feed tailstocks are almost always supplied with a collet holding spindle unless designed for a specific production setup.

Jerry Kieffer

dave-b

Jul 28, 2010
Country
You confuse me. The first picture show the collet holding spindle in place. It fits the sleeve, and holds 8mm collets.The drawbar is not present. Pics 2 and 3 show with the spindle removed, to illustrate the problem, which is that there is no cutout for the camlock. Or are you crticising the bore in the support tube? It is not a very clear pic. but it looks ok to me. PS I do accept the lever linkage is not original.

Last edited:

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Dave
It is my belief that the sleeve and drawbar are not original since their is no logical or practical reason for a manufacturer to sleeve a tailstock.

One reason for someone to do this, is mentioned in post #52.

In this case, the hole in the sleeve would not be centered in that sleeve as yours is. In addition, the spindle body would need to be reduced in size from what is normally encountered to fit within the sleeve as yours is. With a reduced size spindle body, the existing cam lock position is no longer usable as it would be with a spindle body diameter the same size as the sleeve.

Jerry Kieffer

dave-b

Jul 28, 2010
Country
I understand you now, but I still have to disagree. The sleeved tailstock is the historical interest. Once the cam hole is milled, all evidence is covered up.One example of a sleeved tailstock is shown in post 33. Here it is obvious why. Intuitvely I also assumed that all tailstocks were made in one piece and then drilled, but who knows?

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
The lever to me looks pretty original.

The enigma remains, that there are tailstocks like this in old catalogues, with exactly the same sort of unused cross-bore. The enigma remains, what function this cross-bore might have had ...

dave-b

Jul 28, 2010
Country
Wefalck, I meant the flat pivoted link that joins the lever to the body has been renewed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scott
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-