Help needed with PUW 1463

Barb B

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2007
Country
Region
Thanks to Roland Ranfft for his wonderful archives! YAY!

On his site, I found reference to PUW 1463 but not Elgin M135. What company made this watch?

It has the stylized E logo on the dial and the rotor is stamped Elgin M135. PUW 1463 is stamped on the movement.

Can anyone elaborate on this watch? Thanks in advance!

;)

Attachments

psfred

Sep 25, 2009
PUW made the movement. Elgin bought it and cased it.

I have a similar watch (16xx, nice watch with date function).

PUW made great watches, easy to work on. Lots of parts available.

Peter

Barb B

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2007
Country
Region
Thanks Peter

Do you know who PUW is or who's the parent co? Are they still in business? Where are/were they located - Germany, Switzerland, USA?

;)

psfred

Sep 25, 2009
German, now out of business. Do a search on PUW, I don't remember the company name completely at the moment.

Parts are available from Jules Borel and Casker's, Otto Frei, and others.

Most likely only needs to be cleaned and oiled.

Peter

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Barb,

Here is some of the text from a recent post I made regarding a Helbros watch with a PUW movement...

PUW is the abbreviation for Pforzheim Uhren Werke (more or less), a German maker of quite some repute in the 1950s and 1960s. Many "American" companies, (Helbros, Benrus, Gruen, Elgin and others) imported German movements in the 1960s, partly because of their increasing quality, but largely because the political climate of the time led our government to charge favorable tariffs on goods imported from West Germany (our most strategically important continental European ally in the cold war) relative to those imported from traditionally neutral Switzerland.

That's a neat looking Elgin, likely late 1960s. Enjoy it!

Cary

Vicki02

Sep 9, 2011
Hi, I also love this site... I am new here, trying to ID a watch. Anyway my husband has a Elgen pocket. It's very old he loves it. Realy like your Elgen wrist watch. I know he would love it. If ever you see one for sale or know where you can purchase an older Elgen wrist watch please let me know. Thanks Vicki

Barb B

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2007
Country
Region
Cary,

Thanks for the information. I had no luck searching for PUW but the name you provided enabled me to find this link.

;)

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
Hi, I also love this site... I am new here, trying to ID a watch. Anyway my husband has a Elgen pocket. It's very old he loves it. Realy like your Elgen wrist watch. I know he would love it. If ever you see one for sale or know where you can purchase an older Elgen wrist watch please let me know. Thanks Vicki[/QUOTE

Hi Vicki,
If you'd like to buy an Elgin wrist watch, just browse eBay, I'm sure there are plenty for sale. You can also try the 4sale link in the menu area at the top of the page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ynolems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff