Help needed with grandfather clock chimes

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Robert Peberdy, May 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Peberdy

Robert Peberdy New Member

May 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recent acquired a grandfather clock. All was well until last week when I went to adjust the time and moved the minute hand forward about 20 mins. For this clock I believe you are only supposed to turn the minute hand backwards. Up and till this, the clock would chime on the hour, with one strike per the hour.
    (1) chime for 1 o'clock
    (3) chimes for 3 o'clock
    etc etc till 12 o'clock.

Now, its OK up until 6 o'clock (6 chimes), but for 7 thro' 12 o'clock it only strikes (6) times. At 1 o'clock its back to a single chime again.
    Any thoughts on what I can try?
    When the minute hand is on the 12, the hour hand looks pretty much in synch..

Best regards
    Robert.

IMG_1332.jpg IMG_1333.jpg IMG_1334.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    robert - welcome, sorry you're having issues with your clock. please post more photos so we can see what you've got!

the proper term is 'strike', not 'chime'. clocks strike on the hour (and sometimes on the half hour). if they play a melody, that's 'chiming', and there will be a third winding hole/arbor (left to right: strike, time, chime).

i don't know of any clocks where you're actually supposed to turn the hands backwards. there are some where it's ok to turn them backwards, and in fact yours should have allowed that no prob... i don't think moving the minute hand forward had anything to do with the problem.

check out this video... it's similar to your movement and will show you what's probably going on:

it's clear from your photos that it's been a while since the clock was serviced. i would highly recommend having it cleaned and serviced by someone who knows what they're doing... it should then run another decade or two (or more) with no problem.

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Look at the rack. I think you will find that something is keeping it from dropping down any lower than the 6th ledge on the snail. The rack could be simply sticking on it's post, or it's spring could be bent, or out of place, in such a way as to hold up the rack.

The no-no is advancing the minute hand while the clock is still striking.

I agree with Bruce. Looks like your clock is long past due some TLC.

Willie X

4. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 TEACLOCKS, May 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
    Try this for adjustment

5. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, I couldn’t help but notice your comment about not supposed to turn any clock hands backwards. If you read the owner’s manual on most grandfather clocks made in the last 50 years, surprisingly, the manuals actually say that the clock should always be set by turning the hands backwards. I guess they recommend that so the chimes will not get out of sequence ( even though they correct themselves within one hour if out of sequence.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't ever turn them backward. It can damage the rack tail. I think Willie X is probably right about the issue. You'll need to take the dial off to see what's holding the rack from dropping.

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Link doesn't open for me.

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From what is shown in the first pic this looks like a late 18th or early 19th century white dial, you certainly shouldn't be following and manuals for 20th century clocks.

9. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    link fixed...

10. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005