help needed with clock identification possible maker origin etc.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Jack Evan, May 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jack Evan

Jack Evan New Member

May 17, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Jack Evan, May 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2020
    Hi I'm looking for info on a clock case I bought at auction as there's no makers label I want to put a movement in it and stay true to the clock but don't know where to start so I've taken photos any help is appreciated

upload_2020-5-17_22-23-25.png

2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jack

This is English dial clock probably ca 1850. The name on the dial is the retailer. The case would have contained an 8 day time/strike/quarter chime fusee movement.

It will be difficult to find a replacement antique movement as it will require center and winding arbors to match up with dial openings. You need the trace the dial and punch out the 4 arbor openings or at least record distanced between centers of the arbor openings.

You might have better luck with English clock collectors might possibly have orphan movement.

Andy Dervan

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Croeso - welcome, Jack.

Nice case and I agree with Andy Dervan about the likely movement. But I am puzzled because I can see arbors in all the dial holes - what sort of movement is already there?

JTD

4. Jack Evan

Jack Evan New Member

May 17, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much Andy that’s great and thank you JTD I started doing it up and put a Seth Thomas movement in the case that’s why you can see the arbors but it didn’t feel right so now I know where to start thank you both.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag: