Help needed to remove pinion that drives countwheel on Camerer Kuss Beha movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by dgmcrm, Aug 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dgmcrm

dgmcrm Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I am restoring a clock marked Camerer, Kuss on the labels but which has all the attributes of another Beha I own (#256) with the same wooden movement. I see the case design (rooster on a fence) in a Beha catalog as well.

When I acquired the clock each of the bushings were exuding a green, greasy residue which I have almost completely cleaned up. The strike train was frozen and now is functional but not perfect. So now I want to remove all the old grease residue, polish the pivots, and thoroughly clean out the bushing holes.

However, I have stopped my disassembly of the strike train because I'm not sure how to correctly remove the pinion that drives the countwheel. It is pressed and pinned on to the shaft of the wheel that is powered by the chain and weight. (Sorry I don't know proper terminology but would like to know) I can remove the taper pin, but I don't want to remove the pinion until I'm confident I know how.

What is the best method / tool to use?

Camerer Kuss Beha1.JPG Camerer Kuss Beha2.JPG Camerer Kuss Beha3.JPG

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i would try grabbing the thin end (pointing towards lower right in first photo) with needle nose pliers and twisting back and forth as you try to push it out... or the reverse, going from the thicker end of the pin and trying to pull it out.

you could also see if putting one tip of the needle nose on the thin end of the pin and the other on the side of the post toward the thick end of the pin and squeezing simply pops it out.

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #3 Willie X, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Use a small improvised crow's foot arrangement held in a vise and directly supporting the bottom of the spur geat. A light (but sharp) tap to the top of the shaft with a 2 ounce jewelers hammer will probably do it.

Another ploy, if the space is there, use a slotted steel washer slid under the spur gear to protect the wood. It would need furthur support from underneath. Light taps, etc.

Quit, if a few light taps doesn't move it. There are other tricks in th bag.

Good luck, Willie X

4. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    If you take the movement apart. Pull the pin and tap the pinion off , by tapping on the pivot with a thinner piece of round stock than the size of pivot. It should come off rather smooth. The pliers will mark the pinion up. You don't want to mark up the parts.

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You are almost certainly right in identifying the movement as a Beha. Camerer, Kuss (later Camerer Cuss, so as to look less German) were at the time your clock was sold a prestigious firm of retail jewelers in London and marketed many Beha clocks.

JTD

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Later designs of the same arrangement but on brass plates were a big problem too. If you try to get under the thing to pry it off you can mess up the teeth. Sometimes just getting the pin out doesn't solve the problem. I haven't found a good way to remove them yet. With wooden plates like that, it's hard to use heat too.

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking at the picture it seems that the good old paint can opener should work well to pry the pinion off once the pin has been removed. There seems to be sufficient space under the pinion to slide the can opener in. A piece of cardboard or similar under the paint can opener will prevent any damage to the wooden plate.

Uhralt

8. dgmcrm

dgmcrm Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Success! I didn't want to be too rough with this wood frame movement, so I guess I was being too cautious.

After removing the taper pin I placed one tiny drop of Kroil on the end of the pinion and let it set for a few hours. Then I used a pencil type soldering iron to heat only the brass gear. With a little pressure from the paint can opener the pinion popped free.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

9. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    COLLECTOR, RESTORER, PRESERVER, TRADER.
    Dont overthink it, Just pull it out. These old wood-plates are pretty stout. If you are working on wood-plate cuckoo clocks regularly a good selection of misc sized taper pins is surely warranted. Somebody else said, yes, the Cuss label is the retailer Kammerer Cuss. This clock is a great example of Johann Baptist Beha.