Help needed... Is it a JUF ?

Anetta

Dec 3, 2009
Country
Hi.
I did find on my shelf this lovely clock.
Do some one know any think about it?

DSC03294.JPG DSC03295.JPG DSC03296.JPG DSC03297.JPG DSC03298.JPG
Thanks

Anetta

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, JUF Ithink. Plate 1040E matches pretty well. c 1910 according to the Repair Guide.

Kamil Urbanowicz

Aug 17, 2010
Sadly Anetta its a marriage of an old JUF movement and a newer suspension bracket and pendulum (they belonged to an JUF clocks form around 1913 - starting with 12000 number).

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hi.
I did find on my shelf this lovely clock.
Do some one know any thing about it?

Thanks, Anetta
Anetta, thanks for posting the photos of your clock. As already mentioned by others, you have a clock for which all the parts are made by JUF but not all in the same year; so it is actaully what we call a "marriage".

The movement, base, movement support, pediment, and support pillars were made near the end of 1908 based on the serial number of the movement. The movement identification is Plate 1146 with just the serial number and the letter "G" at the lower left corner of the back plate. Here is one instance that the Repair Guide circa date is correct . . . :)

The Pendulum is No. 39, which was first introduced by JUF in late 1910 as a modification to their original adjustable 4-Ball pendulum that was granted a utility Patent DRGM 403658 in November 1909. If the DRGM stamp is found underneath the cross-arms of the pendulum, it could have been made any time from late 1910 to late 1915 when the original patent expired.

The upper suspension support bracket is No. 10, which was first introduced about serial number 120000 as mentioned by Kamil. That number was assigned around May or June 1912.

Your clock is still attractive "as is", but for authenticity the upper suspension bracket should be replaced with one like bracket No. 15 illustrated in the Repair guide, and the pendulum should be replaced with a JUF disc pendulum like this one:

77367 Pend, Base.jpg The disc is turned from a solid brass casting.

For info, it isn't all that unusual to find this kind of a marriage among JUF clocks. Only within the past few years have we been able to find out enough information about them to be able to say exactly when certain features were introduced and when they were made based on their serial numbers and other information. Without that, previous repair persons put together what they had so long as it came from a JUF clock, and I would be rather certain that's how yours came together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre