Help needed cleaning my 400 days Schatz clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by verycoleccionista, Feb 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. verycoleccionista

verycoleccionista Registered User

Feb 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello Forum,

I have a 400-days clock that I want to restore to it`s original factory state and I thought to disassembly all the movement and clean it with típical ammonia-based watch cleaner and then rinse it with acetone. But I'm afraid that the cleaner or the acetone will ruin the lacquer on the brass plates.
    I would also like to know what type of oil should be used and if I should lubricate the fork and cams of the escape wheel and what grease to use for the main spring.
    I would like some expert in these watches to help me with some advice
    Thank you !!

2. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, acetone will dissolve the lacquer. Removing the lacquer with a cotton ball soaked in acetone is one of the first things I do. Well, actually letting down the mainspring is the first thing I do. After taking everything apart, I first strip the lacquer. I prefer the look of polished brass, and lacquer prevents the polish from reaching the brass. I do not replace the coat of lacquer, but instead prefer to wax the brass. The wax retards tarnishing, and also allows me to easily polish spots I invariably miss. I learned the hard way that 400 day clock mainsprings do not perform well with any type of grease. I now use Mobil 1 for mainsprings. No oil is actually required for any other parts, but I confess that I do put the tiniest amount of clock oil in the pivot hole sinks. Oil is never applied to the fork. I don’t consider myself an expert, but I have now cleaned and repaired 20 of these clocks which are all still running and keeping good time.

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    re the mainspring:agreed.
    all other pivots (incl.the holes of the barrel where the winding arbor goes through) need a tiny drop of a clock oil usualy used for spring- and weight driven clocks of all sorts.
    And I give an even smaller drop on one or two escape wheel teeth that will be distributed to all theeth and both pallets when the clock is running.Works well for me!
    Burkhard

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Isopropyl alcohol works well for what you wanted to accomplish with Acetone. Also, be cautious of cleaning agents with ammonia. That will attack your lacquer too. I would recommend using the cleaner for the gears, but not for the plates. Clean them by hand with not overly warm water and Dawn dish soap. A soft toothbrush will help. Then a quick rinse in Isopropyl (I use 98% pure) and a dry with a hair dryer.

5. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also be sure to put a drop of oil on both sides of the barrel where the arbor passes through the barrel and cap.