• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

HELP! Mainspring caught

johnboy

Apr 15, 2007
Honor, Michigan
Country
Region
I was installing the mainspring in the barrel with my spring winder. The spring was wound up and I was trying to pull out the collar surrounding it when the open end of the spring let loose from the pin in the spring barrel. The spring is wrapped inside the collar.
How do I get the spring out of the collar? There is nothing to get ahold of. I never had this happen before.
My only guess is to start pulling out the spring from the winding stud. That doesn't sound great to me.
IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1612.JPG

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I would pry the outer edge of the spring out of the sleeve. Then hold the sleeve with the hose clamp and the hose clamp stop on the winder. Then wind backwards so the outer end would slip out enough to catch it.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
looks to me like you might be able to stick a finish nail (or other pointy thing) into the hole to allow a bit of winding... you could also try winding as is in short bits to see if you can get the hole to come around to the opening in the temporary winding barrel...

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Was waiting for responses here. I've been down that road a few times. What I generally end up doing is get a pair of good gloves on, hold it in my hand and wind it up enough to slip.
Takes a few times to get it where you want it.

Reactions: Willie X

johnboy

Apr 15, 2007
Honor, Michigan
Country
Region
Was waiting for responses here. I've been down that road a few times. What I generally end up doing is get a pair of good gloves on, hold it in my hand and wind it up enough to slip.
Takes a few times to get it where you want it.
Many thanks for your replies.
I used Dave T's idea of using a good glove and winding the spring up until it slips. but when the spring was out far enough I also used WOW's idea of putting a hose clamp on the spring.
It came out like a charm.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I usually do the winding thing but work it on out into my leather gloved hand. A few drops of oil will help.
Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I do what Willie describes. You'll be surprised at how little grip it takes to control the spring unwinding in your hand. But if that worries you, try spinning the spring inside the retainer while you move the retainer back. The spring will eventually work its way out about 1/2 way, and you can bend it a little and loop a wire through the hole and secure it to the winding post. Then you'll be able to wind it up some and get the end where you want it.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-