Help in Identifying Mantle Clock

Jeffrey Smith

NAWCC Member
Sep 7, 2018
Connecticut
Country
Region
I recently got this clock (along with two others) from a woman who was clearing out attic. There are no markings on the case, and two on the back plate, 29963 and just below that (hidden by the pendulum in the attached photo) the number 85. The movement has a count wheel and strikes on both the half hour and hour. The escapement is a recoil type. The clock face appears to be paper and is yellowed and crinkled.
I've cleaned and oiled it and it maintains good time, but I would like to know it's age and manufacturer if at all possible. If there is value, that would be helpful to know.
Thanks in advance!

IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0506.JPG JGWJ4458.JPG SYGY1866.JPG

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

Your clock is definitely German, circa 1900-1910, and looks very much like a Junghans although you’d expect it to be marked - however, I believe not all Junghans movements were stamped. Although good quality, these clocks are not rare - therefore, I’d place the value around $70-90 US, you might get up to $125 if the ideal buyer comes along, given its restored condition.

Regards.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I am tempted to say this clock is by Badische Uhrenfabrik (Baduf). The "85" and the gong block are shown on the following clock (completed sale). It carries the Baduf logo, which seems not to be on yours. It also has a different movement. I have seen the "85" elsewhere on a Baduf movement. I can send you the link if you wish. Again, though, a different movement.

Sold Price: GERMAN MANTEL CLOCK BADISCHE UHRENFABRIK - Walnut case with full-length halved columns on either side of dial. Silver metal dial wit... - December 6, 0115 12:00 PM PST (invaluable.com)

Note the pendulum on the clock in this thread (the Baduf logo is again on the movement): .

Jeffrey Smith

NAWCC Member
Sep 7, 2018
Connecticut
Country
Region
Thank you both for your insights! The movement I have is eerily similar to the one shown in the auction link you sent, with the escape wheel inside the plates, the identical gong, and similar case. It certainly seems German, so I will run with that. Now, if I could keep the strike mechanism synced to the time train, I would be in heaven. I had it on a test stand for ten days, where it stayed in sync, but when mounted in the case, it became dumb and doesn't always strike.
Thanks again! It's good to know the NAWCC members are so helpful and knowledgeable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatskillPainter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff