Help identifying very old modified verge escapement clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by nschuster, Sep 16, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. nschuster

nschuster New Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I recently acquired this unusual clock and I am trying to make heads or tails of it. I've never come across anything quite like it, and I would love to know a bit more about it if anyone can help, please.

The movement is housed in a simple, wooden, standing frame, which, in turn, sits - unsecured - inside of a small cabinet with a hinged door - the door and the sides of the cabinet have glass. The inner wood frame and the outer cabinet seem to be from the same time period, but I can't be certain about that.

The movement itself is quite "primitive." The plates seem to be iron, with very rough, brass bushings. The escapement is a verge and pendulum escapement, but the pendulum appears to have been a later attachment, modification or repair.

The dial is brass, and consists of an outer, fixed dial, and an inner dial that (seems to) rotate with the movement of the hands. (I have seen this style of clock face before, but I don't know what it is called, which makes researching it rather difficult.)

I have been unable to find any identifying markings anywhere on the movement or the case. Everything about this clock indicates that it is original and extremely old - absolutely everything about it makes me quite certain it is not a reproduction.

I would be most grateful for any help understanding what I've got on my hands here.

Thank you,
    Neal Schuster

Attached Files: