Help identifying this wall clock please!!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Keven, Jul 12, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Keven

Keven Registered User

Jun 30, 2007
    Hello all.
    I just purchased this clock yesterday and have no idea on the identification. The clock is 36 inches tall, 15 1/2 inches wide and about 5 3/4 inches deep
    There is a sticker on the inside of the door, on it is..
    Relojeria Suiza
    No. 3848
    Pta's 1915-11-928
    Amos de Escalante 4
    San###der

On the movement is has...
    Prima
    D.R.Patent
    1 Million
    Then s has a fraction 54 over 95 1/2

Thank you all in advance.
    Keven

Attached Files:

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The logo looks like the Schlenker u. Kienzle mark.

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes the logo looks like a Kienzle to me as well.
    Nice clock.I like that style.

4. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    With just a little Google'n, the sticker on the back of the clock suggests that the clock was in some way handled by a clock shop located in the 4th postal district on Amos de Esclante street in the town or village of Santander located on the Northern coast of Spain.

The name of the shop is likely something like "Swiss Timepieces."

The hand printed notes on the label appear to be in ink and likely concern a repair or sales record.

5. Keven

Keven Registered User

Jun 30, 2007
    Thank you all for your input.
    I did a lot of goggling and kept coming to dead ends Thanks again.
    Keven

6. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I lived in Santander for a year in the 1970's, about five blocks away from the address of the clock shop. I don't recall seeing such a shop at that address but also hadn't become serious about collecting at the time. The full name of the street is Calle de Amós de Escalante, loosely translated "Street of the Masters of Climbing". It was on a hill but not really steep so I've no idea for sure of the significance.

The logo is without question Schlenker & Kienzle. "Prima" may be a model name for the movement. DRP 125605 is a German patent granted to Schlenker & Kienzle on November 28 1901 with protection back to August 6 1899, for a double rack striking mechanism. You might see if this is what is on the front of your movement, it appears this permitted the last hour to be struck when a lever was pulled by a cord.

I notice on the gong mount there is cast in "DGMS" with a number that appears to be "?19709". I searched the DGMS files compiled by Doug Stevenson and found DGMS 119709 granted to Schlenker & Kienzle on July 8, 1899, that clearly describes the gong mount combined with the movement mounting bracket "to increase the tone of the gong being attached to the clock case". This design patent would have been valid for three years initially, if renewed then for another three to July 7, 1905.

I don't know of any Schlenker & Kienzle database info that would be able to date the clock based on the serial number. It appears to be 1180589, which seems to be a very large number for this company, but could be. It would have been made most likely between 1902 and 1905, so that would be a good data point if anyone is doing the research for these. By comparison, Gustav Becker had produced nearly 1,900,000 clocks by the end of 1905.

7. Keven

Keven Registered User

Jun 30, 2007
    Hi John.
    There is a small lever on the top right of the mvmt looking from the back. When I cycle it it will chime the hour it is in.
    You have a wealth of info on the clock.
    Thank you very much.
    Keven

8. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi all!
    I have a pics of the clock similar to this, but without the stigma "1 million" (forgot to put a stamp?). D.R.G.M 125605, D.G.M.S. 119709 and # 199726. Can this movement be put in the same time frame that the clock Keven?
    Best regards, Tatyana 5.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

9. ratch

ratch Registered User

Nov 7, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have this movement that I need help with an ID on. Looks like from your information that it is like the one you have. Can someone please help with any additional information. Thanks pic1.jpg pic4.jpg Pic3.jpg Pic2.jpg Pic3.jpg

10. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 new2clocks, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Ratch,

The "Non Plus Ultra" trademark was registered by A. Willmann & Co, in 1901, so presumably your clock was not made prior to that date (curtesy of Doug Stevenson):

79258-jpg.jpg

The history of A. Willmann & Co. is somewhat complicated, as evidenced by the patent number on your clock, which was granted to Schlenker and Kienzle.

Others can provide more information on A. Willmann. Until then, you may want to peruse this thread:

A.Willmann & Co Regulators

Regards.

11. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    This movement is made by "Schlenker & Kienzle" ~ in 1910.

1_243_430.JPG

The signature "NON PLUS ULTRA" is often found on "Schlenker & Kienzle" spring movements and on weight movements "Urania".

33_690_Urania.jpg

BR, Tatyana

12. ratch

ratch Registered User

Nov 7, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I really appreciate your feedback. Nice having smart folks like all of you.