Help identifying the maker of this German Grandfather clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Derek Frewert, Oct 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Derek Frewert

Derek Frewert New Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My neighbor asked for help identifying this clock. They purchased in Germany in the 70s and was told it was 100 years old then. Problem is that they have lost the key to the case so I could not get to the movement. I can see 4 chime rods and it has two weights and a pendulum.

Any info I could get would be appreciated. Also, where would one go to find a key for the Case?

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_2017-10-09-17-46-26.png

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the case is oak,style is art deco,between the wars,more ifo could come from the movement.HTH
    Burkhard

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The locks on these cases are very simple. You might find that a key to a cupboard or drawer which you already have would work. Otherwise a locksmith would easily be able to supply you for very little money.

Once you are able to get at the movement, post a photo of front and back and likely the maker will be identifiable.

JTD

4. Derek Frewert

Derek Frewert New Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. When you says between the wars are you saying early 1900s?

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Burkhard and Kurt are both right - art deco design was between the two world wars. However, in my opinion this clock is not truly an art deco design, though it has some art deco characteristics. To me it looks more very late art nouveau. I would therefore suggest that possibly this clock may have been made around 1915, but that is only my feeling.

Let us know how you get on with opening the case.

JTD

7. Derek Frewert

Derek Frewert New Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A furniture repair place had the proper key so I was able to get into it. Urgos movement.

20171013_165311.jpg

8. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    german grandfather clocks similar to this one were made from the late teens through around 1930. i agree that the cabinet style is more art nouveau than deco. the movement is the double striking bim bam style. i have a gustav becker clock that is very similar. my guess it was made in the early to mid 20's but it is so hard to tell. we aren't allowed to talk prices on this forum unfortunately. sadly, its value is much less than it was say...10 years ago.