Help identifying Ridgeway clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Happybearhome, Mar 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Happybearhome

Happybearhome New Member

Mar 7, 2017
    I have had a clock that my grandparents gave me that I would like some more information on. It's a cherished gift and now that they're in failing health, I'd love to know more about it so that I can pass it along with a history to my kids one day. I know that it's a Ridgeway and it can be set to play Westminster, Whittington, OR Winchester. The last time my Grandma had it serviced (2013), she said the shop owner told her clocks that play more than one chime are a rarity. Is this true? After removing the back panel, the hardware had etched in it "Urgos, Made in Germany, 2 Jewel, and --adjusted" (I couldn't read if it was unadjusted or something else.) Under that it says UW 6/37. To the left the numbers 481566. The bell area says B122/15 R1. I'll try to attach pictures. This clock is gorgeous and sounds so pretty, it's a great reminder of my grandparents. Thanks for any help with this! IMG_3995.jpg IMG_3996.jpg IMG_3991.jpg IMG_3990.jpg IMG_3989.jpg IMG_3988.jpg IMG_3987.jpg IMG_3983.jpg

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User

Oct 5, 2007
    #2 George Nelson, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Hi, Happybearhome,

While I cannot answer all of your questions, I can speak to the rarity part.

Triple chime clocks are not considered rare, but, in small clocks like yours, they are not "common". The most common table or shelf clocks that do chime play only one tune, traditionally the ever-popular Westminster notes.

Sadly, some repairmen will exaggerate the value or rarity of a clock in order to justify expensive repair bills. I'm not at all saying that this happened to your grandparents, but it does happen.

Also, the wording on your movement most likely says "unadjusted," common nomenclature for clocks with some number of jewels.

Others on this board with more experience with clocks from the era of yours will be along and answer more of your questions.

Warmest regards,

George Nelson

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

Your Ridgeway is a relatively modern clock, I would estimate from the 1970s. This URGOS movement is, I believe, no longer in production. Western Germany on the dial also indicates a modern clock, apart from anything else. Nice to have the choice of three melodies. As has been said, not rare, but less common than those playing just one melody (usually Westminster).

Not quite sure what information you were looking for, but hope this helps a little.

JTD

4. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    "unadjusted" is a way to avoid extra tariffs. All it means is that the rate
    was not fine tuned at the factory. It is not any indication of the quality of the
    clock, one way or the other.
    The term is more related to watches that may be tested as chronometers and
    fine tuned. These would be considered more expensive and having higher tariffs.
    Tinker Dwight