Help identifying our 400 day clock

Wizardket

NAWCC Member
Oct 30, 2008
Country
I do not know how to identify my clock. I bought it for my wife on our fifth anniversary in 1980. It was running fine until 1983 when a "friend" thought he would "help" start it by giving the bob a good three winds first then letting it go. That fixed it alright! I stopped needing to wind it or set the time anymore. But it still told the time correctly twice a day. I had a clock repair shop fix it then and it ran fine for years. About 11 years ago I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it. I had it running well but we had to move within a year. It was packed for a little over a year before we had a place to set it up. It ran for another 4 years the and then got packed up again and moved. Four years later brings us to now and it does not run and it is time to get it running. I would like to identify the correct specs for the suspension wire and teach myself / learn the correct configuration for it to run. I am running into new terms I have not heard before like "flutter" so I think I have a bunch to learn over my 8-day clocks.
View media item 8285

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
It would be most helpful if you would post a couple of pictures of what you have. Specifically a clear picture of the back plate is needed.

Eric

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
If the suspension spring isn't broken, there is no need to replace it. The clock probably just needs a service. Probably a sticky mainspring.

Wizardket

NAWCC Member
Oct 30, 2008
Country
It would be most helpful if you would post a couple of pictures of what you have. Specifically a clear picture of the back plate is needed.

Eric
Is the pic I included not enough? That is the only marking on the movement other than the "No jewels"

Wizardket

NAWCC Member
Oct 30, 2008
Country
If the suspension spring isn't broken, there is no need to replace it. The clock probably just needs a service. Probably a sticky mainspring.
It has been running for 24 hours but only has 270 degree or so swing

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
270° is not terrible rotation. More important is over swing and beat. The pendulum needs to swing equally after the tick on both sides of the rotation, and should continue to swing at least 1/2" or more after the tick. The fork controls both the swing and the over swing. Raising it will increase the swing while decreasing the over swing. The opposite is also true. Typically you want it lower more than higher because the clock will not run without over swing.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
There is one photo in the first post that shows the logo on the back of a post-WW2 Schatz 49 movement. Wizardket says the only other stamp os "No Jewels". If there is no date stamp below the "No Jewels" such as " 3 53 " for March 1953, then his clock was made in 1949, the first year the 49 movement was used.

Actually 270 degrees is a good swing for this movement. Many run with less, especially the Gustav Beckers. Shutt's advice is spot on, the clock needs to be in beat for it to run for any time, but if it needs cleaning and a lube then even that won't keep it going.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Here is the photo. It was posted in the Media feature of the MB and not as an attachment. No idea why I could see it, will need to check with the techies to see how this works.
Schatz 49.jpg

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcbarnard70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool