Help identifying our 400 day clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Wizardket, Sep 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wizardket

Wizardket Registered User

Oct 30, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I do not know how to identify my clock. I bought it for my wife on our fifth anniversary in 1980. It was running fine until 1983 when a "friend" thought he would "help" start it by giving the bob a good three winds first then letting it go. That fixed it alright! I stopped needing to wind it or set the time anymore. But it still told the time correctly twice a day. I had a clock repair shop fix it then and it ran fine for years. About 11 years ago I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it. I had it running well but we had to move within a year. It was packed for a little over a year before we had a place to set it up. It ran for another 4 years the and then got packed up again and moved. Four years later brings us to now and it does not run and it is time to get it running. I would like to identify the correct specs for the suspension wire and teach myself / learn the correct configuration for it to run. I am running into new terms I have not heard before like "flutter" so I think I have a bunch to learn over my 8-day clocks.

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be most helpful if you would post a couple of pictures of what you have. Specifically a clear picture of the back plate is needed.

Eric

3. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the suspension spring isn't broken, there is no need to replace it. The clock probably just needs a service. Probably a sticky mainspring.

4. Wizardket

Oct 30, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Is the pic I included not enough? That is the only marking on the movement other than the "No jewels"

5. Wizardket

Oct 30, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It has been running for 24 hours but only has 270 degree or so swing

6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like your pictures didn't show up.

Kurt

7. Bod

Bod Registered User

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    No pictures here either.

Bod

8. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did it just stop while running for years or right after it was moved? Is it just out of beat?

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    270° is not terrible rotation. More important is over swing and beat. The pendulum needs to swing equally after the tick on both sides of the rotation, and should continue to swing at least 1/2" or more after the tick. The fork controls both the swing and the over swing. Raising it will increase the swing while decreasing the over swing. The opposite is also true. Typically you want it lower more than higher because the clock will not run without over swing.

10. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is one photo in the first post that shows the logo on the back of a post-WW2 Schatz 49 movement. Wizardket says the only other stamp os "No Jewels". If there is no date stamp below the "No Jewels" such as " 3 53 " for March 1953, then his clock was made in 1949, the first year the 49 movement was used.

Actually 270 degrees is a good swing for this movement. Many run with less, especially the Gustav Beckers. Shutt's advice is spot on, the clock needs to be in beat for it to run for any time, but if it needs cleaning and a lube then even that won't keep it going.

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Still can't see any photos.

Kurt

12. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the photo. It was posted in the Media feature of the MB and not as an attachment. No idea why I could see it, will need to check with the techies to see how this works.
    Schatz 49.jpg