help identifying movmrnt maker marks english? made?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by klokwiz, Aug 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I'm hoping some one from across the pond might be able to help or even some of you rebels from this side.
    I am working on a small grandmother sized tall (short) case. I have so far determined the dial name is the retailer from about 1858-1880. But don't know anything about the marking on back of the movement plates. the movement is square in shape and has hammers on left to strike hours and a music box type wheel on the right to play Westminster chimes on rods.

I am trying to determine the makers and in that case narrow down the age of the clock as well.

I will post more pictures later. thanks, Joe

View attachment 353128 View attachment 353129

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry Joe I can't help with the markings on the backplate. Loomes lists Swinden & Sons as wholesalers, importers and also suppliers of clock dials and materials, his dates are 1851-97 which sadly extends the time period. It appears the family came from Brentford, London where members of it were clockmakers from the late 18th C.

Perhaps futher pictures may help.

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would suggest 1920s-1930s, going by the use of gong rods and "Tempus Fugit" on the dial. While not easy to identify without movement photos, the dial looks very similar to what F. W. Elliott used.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree with chimeclockfan. Also the marks on the backplate look very much more modern than the dial (may be). Perhaps the movement has been replaced at some time.

It would be very helpful to have photos of the whole clock and the movement (back and front) which might help identify it more closely.

JTD

5. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you for your help so far. I will post more info and photos as I have them. Joe