Help Identifying Movement

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by ironwood, May 17, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    This movement is unsigned. It has a glass crystal covering the movement. The case is signed Standard Watch Co. Why would it have a glass crystal covering the movement? It is approx 18 size. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 42.jpg

2. rschussel

rschussel Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Your watch is most likely Swiss.

The glass back ( called an exhibition back) was probably added so that the proud owner could show off the movement to others.

Bob

3. pwrudy

pwrudy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Priest, Teacher
    Duisburg, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This seems to me an 1880s swiss side lever, approx. 11 jewels, plain steel balance (not compensating, of course), not really breathtaking, if I am allowed to be frank.
    I presume it is stem wound, otherwise the glass cover really would surprise me. I cannot imagine that the glass cover was added in order to show off the movement, which does not show any fancy decoration or a high grade finish. It may have been added later (just a theory)?
    What is material of the case? Silver 800, I guess? Does it show traces of another hinge for the dust cover (I cannot detect any)? What sort of dial does it sport? All those features together may draw a picture of the 'intention' the owner/producer might have had to add a glass cover.

4. Nachtmotte

Nachtmotte Registered User

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The silver coloured shield is part of a Roskopf patent for fixing the wheels.
    Swiss work.
    9-11 jewels.
    Cylinder escapement (looks like a long type of escape?).
    Steel hairspring.
    The twin-bridge looks like a Longines type.
    Open face (Lèpine) movement.
    Setting time with a pusher at "13"
    Age around 1900.
    Bob is right with the added glass back (was a later option).

Hope this helps.
    Best regards
    Tony

5. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    Thanks for the help. I have included additional pictures. It is 800 silver and does have a dust cover on the back (see photos). The dial is enamel and in perfect condition. The case is marked Standard Watch Company. Does anyone know anything about the Standard Watch Company and where they were located? 43.jpg

6. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement is not a cylinder, but a detached lever escapement. The (long) pallet fork can clearly be seen in the close-up scan of the movement.

7. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    So any info on the Standard Watch Company? Thanks for your help.

8. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The exact same movement was used in the Cross and Beguelin Centennial watches. Pretty sure that they purchased the movements from the Swiss as Henry Beguelin was Swiss. The clear back was typical of these movements, whether to show them off or just to protect them is unknown. The watches are not top quality but I have 4 of them that are fairly sturdy and reliable but off a couple of minutes a day.

9. ironwood

ironwood Registered User

Sep 12, 2006
    Any idea about the Standard Watch Co.? Where, when, etc. Thanks for all of your help.

10. Ansomnia

Ansomnia Registered User

Sep 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ironwood, my copy of Brian Loomes's "Watchamekers and Clockmakers of the World" shows 2 instances of the Standard Watch Company, both from the late 1800s.

SWC Minneapolis 1893
    SWC Syracuse, NY 1888-1895

If they were operating as watch companies at the time I imagine their watches would have been pocketwatches. They may have imported Swiss movements for their PWs.

Here's a review of a book on American watchmakers which appears to mention the Syracuse company

Michael