Help identifying model

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Luke McGrath, Jul 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luke McGrath

Luke McGrath Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,
    Does anyone recognise this clock? It hasn't arrived in my workshop yet, but the owner has sent me this picture. He thinks it is an Ansonia, but the dial is unmarked.
    Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Luke
    Adare Clocks
    South Australia
    Resized_20200729_155948001.jpeg

one1laner likes this.
  2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Luke,

It is difficult to distinguish the clock with the confusing background of other clocks.

So many companies made steeple clocks that we need better photographs of the clock with plain white or off white background. Movement photographs would helpful also.

Andy

3. Luke McGrath

NAWCC Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Andy,
    I've asked the owner for some more pictures, showing the movement and a clear background for the clock.
    Hopefully we'll get them in the next couple of days.
    Regards,
    Luke

4. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't believe it's an Ansonia. In fact, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the case is made up, or possibly, but unlikely, a late 19th century German clock. The way the ebonizing is used, the style of the side columns, and the finials remind me of Vienna "regulators" of the period, while the Gothic door looks like it's from a steeple clock.

5. Luke McGrath

NAWCC Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jeremy,
    I agree with you, I don't think it's an Ansonia. I've been through most of the Tran duy Ly books & can't find anything like it. I also thought the case might be a little bit "too good". I'm hoping the movement pics will provide some more clues.
    Regards,
    Luke