Help identifying mantelpiece clock c.1920?

jtlenton

Feb 26, 2021
Country
I recently inherited this clock from my grandparents, who had, by all accounts, stuck it in a cupboard and left it there for the past 30 or so years. I know next to nothing about clocks, but I'd like to.

I know relatively little about this clock, but so far, I know this much:
  • From anecdotal family accounts, my great-grandmother purchased it as a gift for her mother with her first wage slip, which would place it in the UK, and date it to some time in the mid-1920s.
  • I can't find anything like a maker's mark, but it's marked 'Foreign' under the 6.
  • Despite being neglected for a few decades and in need of some care and attention, it still strikes the hours, and once every half hour.
Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

The use of the word foreign indicates that your clock is not older than 1926, when a U.K. import law went into effect that required the use of the word foreign on clocks that were imported into the U.K.

Most of the clocks imported into the U.K. at that time were German, so it is most likely that your clock is of German origin and is most likely from one of the major German companies, such as Kienzle or Mauthe. We have folks here who can identify unmarked German movements and they should be along to provide their opinion.

Regards.

Reactions: jtlenton

Alex K

Jun 20, 2020
Country
Wellcome on the forum jtlenton!
Very beutiful art deco design and very correspond to mid 1920's.
I beleave that foreign means that this clock was imported to GB. From Germany most probably. Can't say exactly what was the maker, maybe front plate look can help.

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
I may be seeing things but it seems that I can see some stamping and/or trademark being hidden by the right hand portion of the gong. If so, can you move the gong out of the way and provide a picture of it. That may help in identifying the movement manufacturer.
Royce

jtlenton

Feb 26, 2021
Country
I may be seeing things but it seems that I can see some stamping and/or trademark being hidden by the right hand portion of the gong...
I see numbers, which probably represent pendulum length, etc...
Excellent spotting - I missed that mayself! I can make out the numbers "15 CM" and "178,28" underneath it (the "1" on the second number isn't super-visible on the photo, for which you have my apologies). The length of the pendulum seems to be 15cm. image_2021-02-26_183803.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff