Help identifying Log Cabin/Old Mill vintage clock made by Ryusuisha Japan

Ellaurin

New User
Sep 25, 2022
Country
Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I picked up this clock at an estate sale and haven't been able to find and information (when it was made, etc). I think it is supposed to be an old mill or log cabin. It has the original face, hands, internal mechanisms, but the bottom was missing (hence the picture showing the internal mechanisms). It has a music box hooked up to the wheel on the front. I imagine the wheel would turn as the music box played. Then hands and numbers on the face look to be glow in the dark.

Any ideas when this was made, about the company, etc., would be appreciated.

20220925_175302.jpg 20220925_181839.jpg 20220925_181847.jpg 20220925_181902.jpg 20220925_182003.jpg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I guess you've stumped everyone about your made-in-japan clock!
Very unusual dial on it, with the seconds hand at the bottom, not sure what the top indicator is for. And I like the sideways 3 and 9!

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I picked up this clock at an estate sale and haven't been able to find and information (when it was made, etc). I think it is supposed to be an old mill or log cabin. It has the original face, hands, internal mechanisms, but the bottom was missing (hence the picture showing the internal mechanisms). It has a music box hooked up to the wheel on the front. I imagine the wheel would turn as the music box played. Then hands and numbers on the face look to be glow in the dark.

Any ideas when this was made, about the company, etc., would be appreciated.

View attachment 728363 View attachment 728364 View attachment 728365 View attachment 728366 View attachment 728367
Unfortunately, there are not many English-speaking experts in Japanese clocks.

We had a member who identified the trademark, but could not provide any information of when the company began, its location in Japan or when the trademark was registered. And, unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago.

My suspicion is that your clock was made post-WWII, after the U.S. occupation of Japan officially ended. According to Wikipedia, the occupation ended in 1952. If the clock were made between 1945 and 1952, I would expect to see "Made in Occupied Japan", as we have seen on other Japanese items. The dial is also indicative of a mid-1950s / early 1960s clock.

Perhaps, by chance, someone who is fluent in Japanese could translate the writing on the back of the case.

Regards.

Ellaurin

New User
Sep 25, 2022
Country
Unfortunately, there are not many English-speaking experts in Japanese clocks.

We had a member who identified the trademark, but could not provide any information of when the company began, its location in Japan or when the trademark was registered. And, unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago.

My suspicion is that your clock was made post-WWII, after the U.S. occupation of Japan officially ended. According to Wikipedia, the occupation ended in 1952. If the clock were made between 1945 and 1952, I would expect to see "Made in Occupied Japan", as we have seen on other Japanese items. The dial is also indicative of a mid-1950s / early 1960s clock.

Perhaps, by chance, someone who is fluent in Japanese could translate the writing on the back of the case.

Regards.
Thank you. I do love a good mystery and just keep digging. Learning about about my estate sales finds is a major part of the fun!

I actually reached out to one of my former exchange students after I wrote the post and asked him to translate the back for me. He said it meant "a get together, social gathering like a meeting or celebration with family." I think I will ask him to see if he can find any information on this company for me.

I was also thinking the clock might 1940s or 1950s. I alternated between those decades because of the glow in the dark hands. I figured that if the glow in the dark hands glowed from uranium, that would be another time point indicator (I know they used to use uranium on the watch hands). I plan to run it by a geiger counter soon.

If I find anything else out about this clock, I will post here for the rest of the group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent