• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Help identifying grandfather clock maker

JimVanDyke

Nov 14, 2007
I have an antique clock with the initials VH and a symbol of a tree above it. I have not had much luck finding who the maker was. It was purchased by my wifes father as an antique in Germany in the 60s.

JimVanDyke

Nov 14, 2007
Re: Antique Grandfather Maker?

Here is a picture of the symbol this is the same symbol that is on the clock works which is currently being cleaned and tuned.

Attachments

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Hello Jim and welcome to the NAWCC message board. Thanks for the photo, it may help someone identify your trademark. I have checked Kochmann's European Trademark Index and have not found it. There are several "tree" combinations but none that match yours. I feel certain that someone will be able to identify your trademark.....

Best Regards,

Richard T.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Greetings Jim --

The VH with a Tanne (a fir tree) mark is identified in Schmid's (2005) _Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie 1850-1980_, the standard reference to the industry, as belonging to the Villinger Hausuhrenfabrik AG, in Villingen. The firm was founded in 1920 by Willi Brunckhorst, and only lasted until 1925. They made Standuhren -- "grandfather" clocks -- but no other information is available.

Regards, Zep

The mark here is shown in the TM listings from the (1925) _Diebeners Uhrmacher-Kalender_ for 1926.

JimVanDyke

Nov 14, 2007
Thank you so much for your assistance, it is truly a unique clock. On the works under the VH tree symbol there is a number 5. I assume this means that it was the 5th one made.

Jim

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
What Chimes does it play? Looks like a Westminster/Striking clock to me. :D Enjoy it! :)

hemidt426

New User
May 27, 2012
DSC03028.JPG Does your Clock look anything like this?.. I also have the VH logo in and on the Back. Would love to hear back if anybody is interested in the story behind my clock.

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board, hemidt426 and enjoy it!

You have refreshed a five year old thread, but that doesn't matter. ;)
Please do tell us story of your clock.
Pics of the movement and the logos would be great, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-