Help Identifying Family Grandfather Clock

DanaEB

Jun 5, 2021
Country
Hello! This clock has been in my family as long as I can remember and I've been given the opportunity to have it in my home. It is currently on the East Coast and I've recently moved to California.
Does anyone have any information about the manufacturer and perhaps can recommend a reliable shipper?
Thanks and looking forward to understanding more about the clock since it will be mine until the younger generation receives it.

IMG_0467.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0469.JPG IMG_0470.JPG IMG_0471.JPG IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0473.JPG IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0477.JPG

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
well, it has the magnolia insignia indicative of the Elite brand. most likely a charles jacques movement. since it says "chimes on 8 bells" along with the cabinet style, i would guess it was imported by bawo and dotter sometime around 1910-1915. there is a little shield above the six on the dial: sometimes those are engraved with the manufacturer's name, sometimes the furniture store where the clock was sold, sometimes that little shield is blank. i can't tell by your photos, but since you did not include a closeup of that portion of the dial, i am assuming yours is blank? a photograph of the back of the movement would be helpful. there is often some engraving and a serial number there. I cannot tell by your photos, but since the clock chimes on 8, i would assume it is a 9 tube clock? it also appears to have the 1 1/2" diameter tubes installed which was a nice option.

This clock would have been a fairly high end model for its day. as to shippers, you might start by calling antique shops in the vicinity of its present location and see if they can recommend a few names. i have used a web site called U-ship with good results in getting hall clocks from various places such as colorado and florida to my home in texas. be sure to only select a "mom and pop" type of shipper that drives his(her) own truck. if you choose a larger company, the driver really doesn't have a vested interest in seeing that your valuables reach their destination safely and results will be spotty at best. above all else, make sure they are insured!

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
if it were mine, i would do the following to prepare for shipping:

- remove the weights and wrap each one carefully (and individually) in bubble wrap... with a piece of hard foam around (and protecting!) the weight hooks. know in advance that they are heavy... the one on the right could be as much as 25-ish pounds.

- remove the pendulum (if you look in the side windows you can see how it's attached) and also wrap in bubble wrap

- remove the tubes (if you look in the side windows you can see how they're hung) and wrap each one in bubble wrap

once you've done that you've removed the heavy and/or delicate things that get damaged or (worse!) lost during moves. i would then find a long box big enough to fit the tubes and pendulum, wrap them in more bubble wrap and close that box up... labeling it 'clock 2 - pendulum + tubes'... and then put the weights in a second box labeled 'clock 3 - weights'... again, wrapped in more bubble wrap.

then, it's just a matter of having someone wrap and prepare the clock for shipping. you'd want to make sure boxes 2 and 3 don't get separated from the clock.

once you get it to california, you're going to want to have it professionally serviced... perhaps with installation/setup included.

DanaEB

Jun 5, 2021
Country
well, it has the magnolia insignia indicative of the Elite brand. most likely a charles jacques movement. since it says "chimes on 8 bells" along with the cabinet style, i would guess it was imported by bawo and dotter sometime around 1910-1915. there is a little shield above the six on the dial: sometimes those are engraved with the manufacturer's name, sometimes the furniture store where the clock was sold, sometimes that little shield is blank. i can't tell by your photos, but since you did not include a closeup of that portion of the dial, i am assuming yours is blank? a photograph of the back of the movement would be helpful. there is often some engraving and a serial number there. I cannot tell by your photos, but since the clock chimes on 8, i would assume it is a 9 tube clock? it also appears to have the 1 1/2" diameter tubes installed which was a nice option.

This clock would have been a fairly high end model for its day. as to shippers, you might start by calling antique shops in the vicinity of its present location and see if they can recommend a few names. i have used a web site called U-ship with good results in getting hall clocks from various places such as colorado and florida to my home in texas. be sure to only select a "mom and pop" type of shipper that drives his(her) own truck. if you choose a larger company, the driver really doesn't have a vested interest in seeing that your valuables reach their destination safely and results will be spotty at best. above all else, make sure they are insured!
Thank you so much! I've used u-Ship before but for cars from east to west coast. Thanks again!

DanaEB

Jun 5, 2021
Country
if it were mine, i would do the following to prepare for shipping:

- remove the weights and wrap each one carefully (and individually) in bubble wrap... with a piece of hard foam around (and protecting!) the weight hooks. know in advance that they are heavy... the one on the right could be as much as 25-ish pounds.

- remove the pendulum (if you look in the side windows you can see how it's attached) and also wrap in bubble wrap

- remove the tubes (if you look in the side windows you can see how they're hung) and wrap each one in bubble wrap

once you've done that you've removed the heavy and/or delicate things that get damaged or (worse!) lost during moves. i would then find a long box big enough to fit the tubes and pendulum, wrap them in more bubble wrap and close that box up... labeling it 'clock 2 - pendulum + tubes'... and then put the weights in a second box labeled 'clock 3 - weights'... again, wrapped in more bubble wrap.

then, it's just a matter of having someone wrap and prepare the clock for shipping. you'd want to make sure boxes 2 and 3 don't get separated from the clock.

once you get it to california, you're going to want to have it professionally serviced... perhaps with installation/setup included.
That is great! I REALLY appreciate the help! I know when it was moved from DC to Florida and back it was in quite a few boxes. Thanks again!

DanaEB

Jun 5, 2021
Country
So one last question about u-Ship, I am supposed to put in a declared or insured value for the clock. Does anyone know what I should value the clock at? I know in the past it was probably more, but not sure these days.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
heck if i know... $2500 for the clock and another $1k for the two boxes (if you do that) of parts?

those are 'just in case' values, just in case you had to try and replace anything. of course the goal is to not have to.... hopefully others will check in with their pricing strategery...

DanaEB

Jun 5, 2021
Country
heck if i know... $2500 for the clock and another $1k for the two boxes (if you do that) of parts?

those are 'just in case' values, just in case you had to try and replace anything. of course the goal is to not have to.... hopefully others will check in with their pricing strategery...
Great! Now to find a decent repair shop north of Los Angeles. I know there are a bunch of antique shops in Solvang, CA that might know someone.
Any recommendations are welcome as well! Thanks again!

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I contracted with an outfit called Vintage Transport about 10 years or so ago. I had them ship a Herschede Tall Case from California to Pennsylvania. They got it to me undamaged but I had a clock shop pack/prepare the clock for shipping first.
This may be the same outfit but I'm not sure: VINTAGE TRANSPORT SERVICES | Get Quotes for Transport

Good luck

Reactions: DanaEB

DanaEB

Jun 5, 2021
Country
What's funny is that I bought one of those newer Beer Drinker clocks from the Black Forest 20 years ago and two shops in Northern, VA couldn't get it to work right. It just sits on the wall reminding me to have more beer. Looks like I'll get two clocks working!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Make sure your clock case is kept upright during the trip. It should go in the front of the truck, wraped with a moving blanket and strapped (not to tight) to the side rails near the bottom and again about 3/4 way up. If it's a one piece case, a third strap at the head is a good idea.

After removing the pendulum use a rubber band, or cotton string, to hold a downward tension on the pendulum leader. I can't tell you how many of these get lost.

I'm guessing this is a one piece case but if the hood comes off. The hood needs to be boxed as Bruce described and go in box #3, along with any small loose parts like: side doors, finials, keys, crank, etc. These loose parts can go in a sturdy bag and be placed inside the case, assuming the bottom is good. It's a good idea to tape the door/s shut with duck tape and double-check for loose glass. Also, the cables and pulleys need to be gathered to the top and tied, or rubber banded, into a plastic bag.

Note, a good clock mover will automatically do all this stuff but I don't know any good clock movers! Hope you can find one. :)

Good luck, Willie X

Last edited:
Reactions: DanaEB

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Some Bawo & Dotter Elite literature relevant to your fantastic hall clock, spanning between 1904-1914.
The 9th tube is used for the hour strike, the eight bells chime is Elite Whittington.

35.jpg Movement PAA.JPG EliteWhittington.jpg

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
very minor detail but this clock would not have a pendulum leader per se. the entire pendulum assembly will come off by lifting up the pendulum a bit and moving it toward the back of the cabinet, then bringing it down gently.

DanaEB

Jun 5, 2021
Country
very minor detail but this clock would not have a pendulum leader per se. the entire pendulum assembly will come off by lifting up the pendulum a bit and moving it toward the back of the cabinet, then bringing it down gently.
Ok. So I did not get any bids from uShip and other places could not fit my move window, so I ordered an 8 foot POD ( 8' x 7' x 8' ) since there are other things in the house to move. In my pictures, it looks like without the bonnet (top) it is less than 8 feet. The top comes off right?

Does anyone know the weight of the case and the top? Are these able to be moved by someone ready for an AARP membership (me) and a strong teenager? Or do I need to get movers to put it in the POD?

Thanks again everyone!!!

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
well, i do think you and a "strong" teenager can move the clock once it has been taken apart. as to the "taking it apart" process, that is going to be complicated. i think it would be best to hire a clock guy to do that for you and hopefully pack the parts up for shipping. judging by the design of the cabinet, it looks like the hood should come off. the tubes need to come out. the pendulum needs to come out. the weights need to come out. also very importantly, the hammer assembly needs to come out. as to the movement/dial, you may be able to leave it in the cabinet as long as it travels upright. i always remove them personally, but they really need to be packed with a lot of care so that the hands and levers and such don't get damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timemaestro
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre