• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Help identifying clock and setting a correct pendulum for it

elinap

New User
Oct 18, 2021
Country
Just got this half size grandfather clock that looks very good, but sadly does not work.
In particular, I am not sure that I can set the correct pendulum lenght (and weight) for it.

The back of the clock is shown in the attached image, and it has engraved on it the digits 205. No manufacturer information is on the back, but I have been told that this is most likely a german clock.

The pendulum that came with the clock is probably not the original or may be even not suitable.

I attach images of the back mechanism, the pendulum and the general view of the clock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eli

back_mechanism_2021-10-18 14.22.41.jpg clock_size.jpg pendulum_hands.jpg

bochisholm

Jul 20, 2007
Just got this half size grandfather clock that looks very good, but sadly does not work.
In particular, I am not sure that I can set the correct pendulum lenght (and weight) for it.

The back of the clock is shown in the attached image, and it has engraved on it the digits 205. No manufacturer information is on the back, but I have been told that this is most likely a german clock.

The pendulum that came with the clock is probably not the original or may be even not suitable.

I attach images of the back mechanism, the pendulum and the general view of the clock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eli

View attachment 676912 View attachment 676913 View attachment 676914
Are you sure it is a weight clock? Most of triple chime clocks are spring driven and the pendulum look correct.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
The leader seems to be riding on the crutch, this will need to be adjusted so that the middle of the slot is where the crutch is set, then adjust the pendulum to get the time correct.

Just noticed you are a new user, therefore;
Looking at the back of the clock movement (photo 1). The silver part hanging down is the leader, the crutch is the part that is through the slot in it.
What you need to do is lift the leader so the crutch is around the middle of the slot, this can be achieved by taking off the leader and re-bending the top hook part to shorten it.
That said it is no guarantee that something else is not in need of attention however this is a good place to start.

elinap

New User
Oct 18, 2021
Country
The leader seems to be riding on the crutch, this will need to be adjusted so that the middle of the slot is where the crutch is set, then adjust the pendulum to get the time correct.

Just noticed you are a new user, therefore;
Looking at the back of the clock movement (photo 1). The silver part hanging down is the leader, the crutch is the part that is through the slot in it.
What you need to do is lift the leader so the crutch is around the middle of the slot, this can be achieved by taking off the leader and re-bending the top hook part to shorten it.
That said it is no guarantee that something else is not in need of attention however this is a good place to start.
Hi JimmyOZ
Thanks very much for your instructions. I will try to do this at the weekend, and will post photos of any changes I make.
Can you suggest how to adjust the pendulum distance from the crutch?
And how do I know what should be the pendulum weight?

Again, thanks very much.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Can you suggest how to adjust the pendulum distance from the crutch?
Or you can buy a shorter suspention spring both will work.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The pendulum weight is not critical. Something close to the pendulum bob you already have will probably work.

Uhralt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-