• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Help Identifying Carriage Clock

BethF

Jan 12, 2021
Country
I know nothing about this clock - it is 3" high x 1.5" deep x 2" wide excluding the feet and handle.
There is a name, possibly DEBOSE or DEVOSE stamped on the top.
Can anyone help me understand more - and how to open it? Is it worth getting repaired to run?

Thanks for your help!
Carriage Front1.jpg
Carriage Back.jpg Carriage Left.jpg Carriage Right.jpg Carriage Front1.jpg Carriage Back.jpg Carriage Left.jpg Carriage Right.jpg Carriage Front1.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

There is a name, possibly DEBOSE or DEVOSE stamped on the top.
Is it possible that the word is "depose"? Depose is French for registered.

Can you provide a picture of the top of the clock?

Regards.

BethF

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Here is a photo of the top of the clock - thank you for asking.
There are no markings on the bottom - it is flat brass.
carriage top.jpg

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
The clock appears to be a Hebdomas carriage clock. The company was more famous for their 8 day watches ( hence the name) but they made these little clocks as well - I assume they have the same watch mechanism inside.

I’ve never had one of these in person, but like other similar designs I assume you unscrew the feet or finials to open the case.

BethF

Jan 12, 2021
Country
The clock appears to be a Hebdomas carriage clock. The company was more famous for their 8 day watches ( hence the name) but they made these little clocks as well - I assume they have the same watch mechanism inside.

I’ve never had one of these in person, but like other similar designs I assume you unscrew the feet or finials to open the case.
Thank you for your help. We will carefully remove the feet to see if that opens the body.

BethF

Jan 12, 2021
Country

Thank You! I will try as you suggest and share what I find